Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I "saved" a 2015 salvage JKU Sahara and brought it back to life last year. When they totaled it they sold off the leather Sahara heated seats. I found a set of leather Rubicon seats on ebay from another wreck and installed them in my '15, and once I replaced the seat belt tensioner they've been awesome, except one key thing. The heated seats don't work. I thought these were heated seats and rechecked underneath and it looks like it has the right wires going up into the top and bottom. My M8 fuse is OK, and the factory heated seat switches light up when pressed. but no heat. The connectors matched perfectly, even all the wires in the two halves of the connectors matched. Even the little clear encased transistors under the seat look perfect. Is there anything else I should be checking? If someone has heated seats would they mind sticking their phone under the seat and sending me a pic of the wiring in case I am misinterpreting and I don't really have heated units? Thank you!!!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Heated seats have TWO connectors. One is on every jeep and is the air bags/seatbelt weight sensor i believe. If your seat only has one connector then it is not heated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bob, thanks for the info. As an example, on the passenger side it is one big yellow connector only. I have the original window sticker from the dealer and it lists heated seats (plus I've got the factory switches which actually light up). Is it possible you are referring to connectors under the seat, not from the main harness? Just want to check. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
307 Posts
On my 2016 Rubicon with cloth seats, I could never really tell if the heated seats ever worked. When I got my 2018 Rubicon with leather seats, I can tell they work, but only after about 20 minutes. Neither came close to the heated seats I had in my old 2000 Grand Cherokee, or my old BMW or old Mini Cooper. I'm totally underwhelmed by them. Have you given them enough time to see if they eventually heat up? I'd love to find a way to boost them.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Hey Bob, thanks for the info. As an example, on the passenger side it is one big yellow connector only. I have the original window sticker from the dealer and it lists heated seats (plus I've got the factory switches which actually light up). Is it possible you are referring to connectors under the seat, not from the main harness? Just want to check. Thanks!

Correct.
You have one big connector for the seat. But after that big yellow connector it splits off to 3 connectors mounted to the seat... at lest mine does (it has heated seats)

Sorry... I just noticed above I said 2, not 3. Maybe I confused you there.

One connector goes off in the direction of the seatbelt latch, another looks like it's going to the seat section and the other looks like it's going to the seat back.

·
Super Moderator
22,082 Posts
easy thing to do is just undo the clips that hold the leather seat covers on and see if they have a heating element. For the record my leather heated seats get warm enough to be uncomfortable when on high. Takes about 5 minutes to feel the heat.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that the big yellow plugs were air bag.

That said... my '12 has heated seats that I don't think heats very well anymore. I've noticed a few times the switch turning off very shortly after being turned on. And if it does stay... I can't say I get any decent heat out of them anymore (I believe I read this too, is a common problem).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess my next step will be to trace the wires back that go to the seat back and bottom to the connector and see if I am getting any power at the connector.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, now I'm stumped how to proceed. I validated the seats have the warmers. The switches light up fine, and the fuse (M8) is good, but no heat in seats, even after a while. I tried putting a tester on the connectors for the heaters but they are sealed tight from the back, and once disconnected to plug the probes into the switch turns off after 2 seconds. Got no signs of juice even in the 2 seconds. Would anyone know if there are other components I should be checking, or if the behavior of the switch is expected? Thanks - getting snow this week, gotta figure out if I need to go aftermarket replacement (and does anyone have any favorites for aftermarket seat heat inserts?)

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
the heated seats on my 2015 are weak, at best. nothing compared to my chevy truck. I actually don't really ever use them because it takes 15-20 mins for them to heat up where you can feel it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just curious, has anyone had any success wiring the aftermarket kits into the factory connectors? Also wondering if anyone has tried replacing the factory heat pads with success? Looks like I can get the bottoms for about $103 each.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like a bummer to not utilize the factory gear, but I think I may try one of the Quadratec retrofit kits. Thanks all, I'll let you know how it goes

1 - 18 of 18 Posts