Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got our 2016 Sahara, and coming from a 2010 the heated seats don't seem anywhere near as warm. Our 2010 had 3 temp settings vs 2 in the 2016, but even on the highest setting it just doesn't seem very warm, certainly not enough to make a huge difference once the negative temps hit here in VT. Is the temp something that can be controlled or changed by the dealer in any way, or is this just the way they are?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
They take forever to heat up, and like you said, "not enough to make a difference"......One feature they really didn't test thoroughly. I would have thought by 2016, they would have fixed it by now, guess not.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is one situation where I wish I was the anomaly so it's something to be fixed, rather than "oh that's just how it is". I also wish it had 3 settings and that you could set them to come on with the remote start, I know the aftermarket kits have a toggle switch rather than momentary switch so you can leave them on. I might mention it to the dealer anyway to see if it's something they can look at.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I have them but will probably never use them. Honestly my biggest reason for getting them was that I hate seeing trim/button blanks. It's a hang up I have. They were cheap enough I didn't mind specifying them to essentially fill out that bottom panel. Still one left blank but I think they all have that in North America.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I'm not familiar with the "factory" heated seat option for later model JK's. You're right about the heated seat option for 2010. At that time there was no heated seat option from the "factory", it was a Mopar accessory that could be installed by the dealer or customer and they have 3 settings. There were separate part numbers for cloth and leather seats. I had the dealer install it on my 10 when it was delivered and I can still fry an egg on the top of my seats if I use the high setting.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I'm not familiar with the "factory" heated seat option for later model JK's. You're right about the heated seat option for 2010. At that time there was no heated seat option from the "factory", it was a Mopar accessory that could be installed by the dealer or customer and they have 3 settings. There were separate part numbers for cloth and leather seats. I had the dealer install it on my 10 when it was delivered and I can still fry an egg on the top of my seats if I use the high setting.
You will get luke warm in a newer JK in about an hour, which negates the benefits of heated seats. They are more useful when you first get in, so they need to heat up quickly, which they don't even come close to doing.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
After a while, mine will get up to about 98.6 degrees. :rofl:

·
Registered
218 Posts
Just like most everything else that has been taken away from the average consumer and replaced by an inferior substitute, you can blame the ambulance chasers. All auto manufacturers have, or will scale back on seat heaters to the point where they become useless to people who live in cold climates. If you are like me, a seat heater is desirable to warm the surface ASAP on those mornings when it is 15 degrees below zero. The litigious actions of the few have ruined this for the many. They have now taken the Tim The Tool Man ability for heaters to accomplish this feat. At most, they will keep a person a bit more toasty after they have been driving the car for an hour and it has already fully warmed up. At this point in the drive, I don't want or need seat heaters, but that is about all they are good for anymore.

Seat heater burns prompt auto industry action

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not sure I buy the litigious reason, as other manufacturers don't seem to have this problem.

I wonder if the Mopar retro-fit kit can be used with the factory wiring? I might kick up a stink with Chrysler HQ since they're charging $500 for an essentially useless feature.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Look at them more as "Seat Warmers" rather than Seat Heaters.....

You can't cook your nuts on them (or heat soup for that matter) takes the chill out of leather seats, mine get pretty Warm.
I doubt they would effect cloth seats as much.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts

You can't cook your nuts on them (or heat soup for that matter) takes the chill out of leather seats, mine get pretty Warm.
They should be called "Swamp @ss warmers", they only work after the whole Jeep is heated up, then you shut them off only because you forgot they were even turned on after an hour or so....LOL I really just want them to be blazing hot in the first 1-2 minutes, then shutoff.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
They should be called "Swamp @ss warmers", they only work after the whole Jeep is heated up, then you shut them off only because you forgot they were even turned on after an hour or so....LOL I really just want them to be blazing hot in the first 1-2 minutes, then shutoff.
True that, Nothing worse than going to your Kids game with a massive leaking case of Swamp Ass (or even worse SwampAssGas) everybody is whispering and pointing - Horrible.

Not easy to blame that on your Jeep..... (I tried)

·
Registered
8,968 Posts

The Mopar accessory heated seats with my cloth seats actually get too hot on the high setting. They also heat up real quick. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so if the Mopar accessory actually works as heated seats should, then Chrysler should do something about that for people who paid for the factory install you would think? Has anyone with the factory seats actually been to a dealer to ask about their poor performance??

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
so if the Mopar accessory actually works as heated seats should, then Chrysler should do something about that for people who paid for the factory install you would think? Has anyone with the factory seats actually been to a dealer to ask about their poor performance??
I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's worth the effort. Even if the dealer were to agree that there's an issue, what are they going to do? I'm not going to let them start ripping apart my new interior to swap the factory seat heaters with the Mopar kit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts