Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
I had a similar set up in mine they worked really well untill the first time they got wet. Then they were kaput ! So if you make sure your top is up every rain shower. And every heavy dew. Then you should be fine

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I have a set of carbon fiber heated seat covers that worked very well. Now that I am out of work and do not need to leave at 6:30 am I may not need them for a while.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Man I would love me some heated seats. I made the mistake of taking off for a winter desert wheeling trip without my top and took a shortcut oover the top of my local mountains where I drove through a bad snowstom with howling winds. I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life. :eek:

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
call me cheap, but i think im gonna take some $15 heat pads from Wal-Mart and sew them into my cheap junk seat covers. then plug them into my power inverter. total cost $50 inverter was a $20 yard sale special.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Man I would love me some heated seats. I made the mistake of taking off for a winter desert wheeling trip without my top and took a shortcut oover the top of my local mountains where I drove through a bad snowstom with howling winds. I don't think I have ever been so cold in my life. :eek:
Once you use them you will say, what was I waiting for?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
call me cheap, but i think im gonna take some $15 heat pads from Wal-Mart and sew them into my cheap junk seat covers. then plug them into my power inverter. total cost $50 inverter was a $20 yard sale special.
A 120v home heating pad draws more power than you think which means it'll require a much bigger inverter than you may have or be expecting. Any type of electric heater draws a lot of power. If your inverter can't provide at least 1500 watts continuously, I wouldn't do it... and most inexpensive inverters can only handle 300-800 watts. Not to mention that when talking amperes, that heating pad will draw well over (because the inverter is not 100% efficient) 10X as many amps at 12v than it does at 120v. So if for example it draws 5 amps when plugged into 120v, it'll draw well over 50 amps out of your Jeep's 12v system. When there is 1/10th the voltage (120v vs. 12v) to work with, it requires 10X the amperes to provide the same power.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Heated seats are one of my planned upgrades. I may have to jump on this!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
A 120v home heating pad draws more power than you think which means it'll require a much bigger inverter than you may have or be expecting. Any type of electric heater draws a lot of power. If your inverter can't provide at least 1500 watts continuously, I wouldn't do it... and most inexpensive inverters can only handle 300-800 watts. Not to mention that when talking amperes, that heating pad will draw well over (because the inverter is not 100% efficient) 10X as many amps at 12v than it does at 120v. So if for example it draws 5 amps when plugged into 120v, it'll draw well over 50 amps out of your Jeep's 12v system. When there is 1/10th the voltage (120v vs. 12v) to work with, it requires 10X the amperes to provide the same power.
its a 2000 watt inverter with 4 120v plugs. and ima be putting in dual batteries before I do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had those in my original seats, then moved them to my PRP seats.
Cheap and easy to install. I've had them for a couple years now, soooo nice.

·
Registered
451 Posts
its a 2000 watt inverter with 4 120v plugs. and ima be putting in dual batteries before I do.
That's a real bad idea. 120v AC is enough voltage to kill you if it gets wet, or to start an upholstery fire with an arc from a short circuit.

Use the 12v seat heater kits, they are lots safer.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,616 Posts
Yep in spite of the availability of a 2000 watt inverter, as an electrical kind of guy, I would only consider 12v seat heaters. I wouldn't give 120vac seat heaters even a passing thought for a Jeep.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
yep in spite of the availability of a 2000 watt inverter, as an electrical kind of guy, i would only consider 12v seat heaters. I wouldn't give 120vac seat heaters even a passing thought for a jeep.
x2

·
Registered
591 Posts
I used to drive a '69 VW microbus all year and you probably all know about the factory heat in those. Never got above 40-50 F if it was below 20 degrees outside. Got some heated seat covers that plugged into the cigarette lighter with a thermostate switch and everything. Man, that was nice and toasty. I wish I'd kept them when I traded it for the Jeep. May have to get me some of those for that price! Thanks man!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Jerry Bransford said:
Yep in spite of the availability of a 2000 watt inverter, as an electrical kind of guy, I would only consider 12v seat heaters. I wouldn't give 120vac seat heaters even a passing thought for a Jeep.
Agree 100% I live in Oregon where I get in my rig most of the time soaked with rain from hunting/wheelin. You guys can have your ass and balls sitting atop a 120 ac grid all you want without proper grounds. Have fun with that!

·
Registered
615 Posts
I installed the Dorman Kits in My TJ & My Wife's Expedition Last December so far they have worked Great the one's in the Jeep have got wet a time or 2 & still work just fine, Kits were around $60 per seat on eBay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts