Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was actually researching this last night just for fun. I think the Grand Cherokee has a heated steering wheel option might be a way to wire that up to your Jeep if you find a good deal on one!

·
Premium Member
6,896 Posts
I was actually researching this last night just for fun. I think the Grand Cherokee has a heated steering wheel option might be a way to wire that up to your Jeep if you find a good deal on one!

Yes it does and it's great for when I get off work and it's 20F degrees out. I've been teasing her lately when it's cold out and she gets ready to hop in her Wrangler to head off to work and I remind her to turn the steering wheel heat on. :)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Love the heated steering wheel in momma's Grand Cherokee. May be tough to retrofit though. The splines for the steering wheel are different and I'm not sure you can easily adapt the clockspring.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it does and it's great for when I get off work and it's 20F degrees out. I've been teasing her lately when it's cold out and she gets ready to hop in her Wrangler to head off to work and I remind her to turn the steering wheel heat on. :)
Love the heated steering wheel in momma's Grand Cherokee. May be tough to retrofit though. The splines for the steering wheel are different and I'm not sure you can easily adapt the clockspring.
I just took a new JL and GC for a test drive with heated steering.... I definitely need this!

Especially here on the east coast.

The JL wheel got hot actually and you had to turn it off, then back on when it cooled down. The GC maintained a perfect temp, no fuss.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
There is a thread where someone found a similar FCA steering wheel to the one used on JK's, but had a heated rim, and retrofitted it onto their JK.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Yeah I'd be interested too!

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Might be a great quick fix in the meantime. Rather something sooner than later, we just had our first snow. :)
I'm not sure you can do heated steering any other way, unless you were willing to replace the clock spring, and possibly the entire steering column.

Heated steering needs electricity and electricity needs wires. The jeep steering column wasn't built to include the wiring or the clock spring for such a thing.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not sure you can do heated steering any other way, unless you were willing to replace the clock spring, and possibly the entire steering column.

Heated steering needs electricity and electricity needs wires. The jeep steering column wasn't built to include the wiring or the clock spring for such a thing.
Thank you, that clears it up, was hoping for something simpler.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I dont know about the other threat but I believe the 2011-2013 Grand Cherokee is the same and I *think* you could get one with heated steering.

EDIT:
I checked and the steering wheel does look to be the same and I have found at least used Limited and Overland models with heat.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yes, this is possible BUT requires machining and some risk. Like others have mentioned, the 2011-2013 GC (certain limited packages, Overland, Summit, and SRT) has headed steering but the flange is a different size compared to the JK. SRT is the only steering wheel that is guaranteed to have it, others you have to reference the part number.

Once you have the steering wheel of choice, you will need to machine out the flange from the GC steering wheel. Next, carefully machine out the JK steering wheel being careful to not destroy the splines the steering shaft mounts with. Take the JK flange and press into the GC steering wheel. The more precise and tighter the better. THIS IS THE RISKY PART!!!! Because the center of the steering wheel is cast, you cannot weld the pressed in section to the steering wheel (I don't know about welding, I was told this). Next epoxy the flange and steering wheel together and allow plenty of time to cure. Use a larger washer w/ the mounting bolt to ensure coverage of the newly mounted flange AND part of the steering wheel.

The buttons from the 11-18 JK are the same size/layout as the 11-13 GC and can be swapped over w/o problems. The primary connector will need to be taken apart and repinned for the JK. There will be a few extra plugs depending on which steering wheel you use but the heated steering wheel has its own plug that you can tap into w/ a rocker switch/spod setup. I cannot say what the voltage required is, though. Here is the plug diagram: Mopar Connection Repair Kit

The airbag used in the 11-13 GC is the same as the 11-18 JK (not sure of 07-10).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts