Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my 1991 jeep wrangler, YJ my heater and hair controls don't work properly. When I put the temp to hot or cold, that works. My heater works great! My problem is this, when I put the nob to 'off' it doesn't turn off. When I turn the nob to vent , it doesn't turn off but blows very lightly. Why are my controls mixed up? Is there a way it can be fixed? Does anyone else have this problem? Thanks for any help :)

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Not sure what is messed up. In "vent" mode there is no fan at all. Fan operated in Defrost and Heat modes only.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sounds to me like the switch on top of the control unit got bypassed. I actually had to do that for a short time right after I bought the jeep until I had time to get under the dash and trace the wiring.

It should actually be wired in this order (cliffnotes version) Fuse--->Switch on top of controls--->Fan Speed switch,

The switch on top of the controls has a wire going in and a wire going out, one in front, one in back. The one in the back was my problem and it was tough to get back there to find it. If someone ran a wire directly from a switched on power source (fusebox most likely) to the fan speed selector switch it would cause the symptoms you have.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had a similar problem woth my 91. Pull the control unit out about three or four inches and work the cable back and forth and watch what happens. The plastic tab which holds the cable to the unit was broken on mine wihch did not allow the cable to pull the vents completely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts