Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
New to this site. Just acquired TJ 2001 sport. Heater hose under hood is disconnected. Any ideas why and repair cost? Also, rear main seal is leaking?? Any cost or help with DIY is appreciated.

·
Registered
15,631 Posts
Perhaps heater core has a leak and was bypassed cost kind of depends on what is wrong this need more details

Would not mess with rear main seal for a small leak

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,373 Posts
Rear main seals commonly leak when fed a diet of nothing but synthetic engine oils. Before worrying about paying to have a new seal installed, do this... change the oil to a 10W-30 CONVENTIONAL "High Mileage" oil. The high mileage versions have extra seal conditioners that can restore the seal back to pretty much how it was when it was new. Some engine lubes can cause the RMS to shrivel up like a prune. My BMW had a major RMS leak and before researching other ways to fix it, I asked the local BMW specialty shop how much and it was $1600... not that a Jeep would be that much but it was enough I looked for another fix. Others with the same RMS leak in their BMWs switched to a conventional high mileage engine oil and said it fixed theirs. I tried Mobil Super High Mileage (a conventional) and it completely cured my RMS leak within about a week.

Many here have done the same and it fixed their RMS leaks too. That's my recommendation. Nope don't worry about the rumors your engine will self-destruct with a conventional, that's just the internet. I even run a conventional in my wife's Lexus and my Genesis, not to mention my Jeep.

So far as the disconnected heater hose, Digger's assessment is no doubt correct. Leaky heater core so it was bypassed.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
May as well check the condition of the oil pan... Depending on where the Jeep has lived, rust can cause perforations in the pan. If doing RMS, check the pan and replace if it is showing signs of rusting through.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rear main seals commonly leak when fed a diet of nothing but synthetic engine oils. Before worrying about paying to have a new seal installed, do this... change the oil to a 10W-30 CONVENTIONAL "High Mileage" oil. The high mileage versions have extra seal conditioners that can restore the seal back to pretty much how it was when it was new. Some engine lubes can cause the RMS to shrivel up like a prune. My BMW had a major RMS leak and before researching other ways to fix it, I asked the local BMW specialty shop how much and it was $1600... not that a Jeep would be that much but it was enough I looked for another fix. Others with the same RMS leak in their BMWs switched to a conventional high mileage engine oil and said it fixed theirs. I tried Mobil Super High Mileage (a conventional) and it completely cured my RMS leak within about a week.

Many here have done the same and it fixed their RMS leaks too. That's my recommendation. Nope don't worry about the rumors your engine will self-destruct with a conventional, that's just the internet. I even run a conventional in my wife's Lexus and my Genesis, not to mention my Jeep.

So far as the disconnected heater hose, Digger's assessment is no doubt correct. Leaky heater core so it was bypassed.
You’re amazing! Thank God for you and this wonderful forum!!! I will try the oil change and see what happens!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
May as well check the condition of the oil pan... Depending on where the Jeep has lived, rust can cause perforations in the pan. If doing RMS, check the pan and replace if it is showing signs of rusting through.
Thank you

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rear main seal - i think you have a two peice seal which is not that bad to change out. Most seals require the trans to be removed to change it out, but jeep got this right. All you have to do is drop the pan, remove the rear rod cap, and push out the seal to replace. Take your time and use felpro gaskets. Do a search on YouTube for the details on how to perform the task.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rear main seal - i think you have a two peice seal which is not that bad to change out. Most seals require the trans to be removed to change it out, but jeep got this right. All you have to do is drop the pan, remove the rear rod cap, and push out the seal to replace. Take your time and use felpro gaskets. Do a search on YouTube for the details on how to perform the task.
Love you!! Thank you!!!

·
Registered
2004 Jeep Wrangler Columbia Edition
20 Posts
Hi,
New to this site. Just acquired TJ 2001 sport. Heater hose under hood is disconnected. Any ideas why and repair cost? Also, rear main seal is leaking?? Any cost or help with DIY is appreciated.
Have the same thing going on. Small amount of oil on my garage floor after it sits for a few days. Thanks to this forum, I've found that it's nothing to be incredibly worried about as long as the amount of oil doesn't increase. I'm going to try putting in conventional, high mileage oil as someone has mentioned here - unsure what was put in last because I got my Wrangler within the past month. All that said, I've watched some videos and done some reading and probably won't do RMS on my own if I find it needs to be replaced.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,373 Posts
The RMS for the 4.0 is indeed a 2-piece seal but it's still not easily replaced even if you've done them before. Usually the RMS has just shrunk/shriveled from the wrong engine oil and it can usually be fully restored by simply using the engine oil recommended above... a high mileage conventional motor oil. This is not a band-aid fix like pouring pepper into a leaky radiator is... the seal can usually be restored which eliminates the need to replace it.

Giving a high mileage conventional engine oil a chance has saved many of them, too many to make replacing the RMS without trying something else first a bad first step.

·
Registered
02 TJ Sport
1,592 Posts
I'd take the above advice and see how that goes first, but if you do end up deciding to replace your RMS, here's a good write up on it. [Repair] Rear Main Seal Replacement

Mine's a had a small leak for about a year now, typically doesn't even drop on my floor and I've never noticed the oil level low when I do oil changes, but I have the parts ready in the jeep bin just in case it gets way worse.

Welcome to the jeep fam,
XBD

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd take the above advice and see how that goes first, but if you do end up deciding to replace your RMS, here's a good write up on it. [Repair] Rear Main Seal Replacement

Mine's a had a small leak for about a year now, typically doesn't even drop on my floor and I've never noticed the oil level low when I do oil changes, but I have the parts ready in the jeep bin just in case it gets way worse.

Welcome to the jeep fam,
XBD
After 2 days in one spot, I had a circle about 5-6 inches in diameter. I will try the high mileage and let y’all know. Thank you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are you sure your RMS is the culprit? Look at the rear of the engine and make sure it is not leaking from the valve cover running on the back of the engine to mimic a bad RMS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts