Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I have a '94 YJ. I just pulled all the interior out to put in a polyurethane liner, new upholstery, carpet, console, etc. and I am in the process of putting it all back in. I also pulled out the heater and ventilation system to clean and line the body up around there but I made a big mistake... did not mark heater control cables and also broke some of the plastic tabs that hold them in place. I have the Jeep manual but it is not helpful in identifying where the cables go. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi everybody, I have a '94 YJ. I just pulled all the interior out to put in a polyurethane liner, new upholstery, carpet, console, etc. and I am in the process of putting it all back in. I also pulled out the heater and ventilation system to clean and line the body up around there but I made a big mistake... did not mark heater control cables and also broke some of the plastic tabs that hold them in place. I have the Jeep manual but it is not helpful in identifying where the cables go. Any suggestions?
I am going through this right now so I have some first hand info for you. With the control pulled straight out of the dash you have three cables. one with a black clip, a white clip and a blue clip. the cable with the white clip is on top on the left, the one with the black clip is on top on the right, and the one with the blue clip goes on the bottom right. as for the broken clips, thats not good. I broke all three of mine removing the control to replace it. clips cannot be replaced. you have to replace the entire cable. i did come up with a way to secure the clip in its socket. I took a 3/16 drill and drilled a hole horizontally through the mounting recess and ran a zip tie through both holes, placed the clip in its hole and tightened the zip tie down on to the clip. this held the clip in place very snugly. I will attach a picture of the one I did. it will be the cable mounted on the bottom. The one that is blue.

IMAG0922.jpg

·
Registered
380 Posts
the PO had busted the one that was on the heater housing,I used epoxy to hold it.so far so good.If it breaks loose I plan on using a cable clamp off an old mower I have....russ

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I desperate! The picture above answers one question. Second question, what does the cable end hook to?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
On the main page of the YJ tech forum (this forum) there's a sticky titled "YJ Heating System Explained". This should answer all your questions.
While your cables are out, give them a shot of WD40 or PB Blaster. Just make sure that they all work smoothly and easily before you reinstall them.

Attached is a pic of my method to cure the broken clip problem. On this one I simply wrapped a wire around the clip and the base. On others, I drilled a 1/8" hole next to the clip and twisted a short length of mechanics wire (also called bailing wire) around the clip and the base that it's attached to.
They've held a couple years now. The cables used to be available online, but I don't know if they still are.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I desperate! The picture above answers one question. Second question, what does the cable end hook to?
If I understand your question, you are asking what holds the cable to the actual actuator that moves the doors in the heater assembly, correct? I am at work right now, but I will take a pic of the clamp that holds it when I get home this morning. I don't know if you can find the clamps aftermarket, but you should be able to find one at a pick and pull. I would imagine that they are fairly standard across the board for many of your older heater systems. It is basically a clamp that slides onto the rod/actuator and has two clips to either side of the rod that are 180 degrees opposite that clamp the cable in place.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the tie wrap/wire trick. That took care of the defrost cable problem. The other issue was the temperature cable (bottom of control unit). The cables that are left on the market to purchase have the wrong end on them. I attached two pics. Pic one correct cable end. Pic two currently available cable end. The one in the second pic will not fit onto the metal tab unless you drill out the eyelet, which I just did last night. Works fine now.

Also I drilled out the plastic pin that was broke off on the defrost cable end. Put a #6-32 bolt thru the cable eye and thru the drilled hole with a lock nut on the bottom. Not quite plug & play but saves from buying a used control unit.

I'm still at work so none of these pictures are my actual control unit but the fixes are the same on all units like this.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
So what is the right way to remove these stupid clips without breaking them? I broke one, and I'd rather not break the other two. They don't seem to have any logical method for removal.

I'm doing a complete restoration, so perhaps just buying new cables is a good idea anyways.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
So what is the right way to remove these stupid clips without breaking them? I broke one, and I'd rather not break the other two. They don't seem to have any logical method for removal.

I'm doing a complete restoration, so perhaps just buying new cables is a good idea anyways.
The plastic is so brittle on anything stock, if they haven't been replaced recently you won't go wrong, They are relatively inexpensive.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,933 Posts
They are all different. Each cable's colored differently to help you identify which goes where. Each connector is uniquely shaped to fit it's specific location. Check out the insert holes and you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
67 Posts
They are all different. Each cable's colored differently to help you identify which goes where. Each connector is uniquely shaped to fit it's specific location. Check out the insert holes and you can see what I mean.

I’ve noticed that on the Jeep but quadratec only sells the one as far as I can tell

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
The above is Omix p/n 17905.05, The second one that's on the front of the air box is Omix p/n 17905.06. those are the only two I know are available, also the most frequently broken... the third one that controls the vent on the right is NLA as far as I know.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
All your pics show the wrong side. To remove them you need needle nose pliers to flex the small tab on the other side.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts