Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am leaking fluid from my heater core. Is this a difficult part to replace? Does it have to be replaced?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tangofox, on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it to replace? Is the access to it from the inside or from underneath?

·
Super Moderator
7,860 Posts
I am leaking fluid from my heater core. Is this a difficult part to replace? Does it have to be replaced?

It is a PITA job, and an expensive job to pay to have done.

You don't need a heater core, in fact it can easily be bypassed. The only problem is w/o it you have no heat and no defroster.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Tangofox, on a scale of 1 to 10 how difficult is it to replace?
Six.

Is the access to it from the inside or from underneath?
Inside. Except for the heater hose connections in the engine compartment.

Tangofox, you also said that it does not have to be replaced, what do you recommend?
If you can do without heat, simply bypass the heater core by routing a hose from the water outlet housing to the water pump.

Another option is to add some radiator stop-leak and boiling water to the heater core only. I will not recommend for or against that procedure, but I have reports of it working. Under no circumstances would I personally add radiator stop-leak to the entire cooling system.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I've done it twice; once back in 2007 on my 2001 TJ, and again earlier this year. Yes, its a pain. Not difficult per se, just invasive and time-consuming.

Here's a link to my write-up: TJ Heater Core Replacement - 1. A few others have provided suggestions and some found that the steering wheel and dash don't have to be removed and can be suspended via paracord. I just remove the steering wheel and dash as its not too difficult and I want the extra room to move around.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Heater core in my 08 JK Sahara went bad about a year ago, didn't tackle it myself, since its in the center of the vehicle, and its buried in the second layer of the dash. Jeep did not do the repair, so I saved some expense, but it was in the shop for about 3 days. Hats off to those above that have done this replacement in your home shop, but its one of those things I honestly would not spend my time to repair unless I had some previous experience. Cost me about $600, and definitely worth avoiding the headache.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
It isn't so much difficult as it is time consuming. There are some really detailed write-ups on it, as well as YouTube videos to follow. If your proficient in wrenching, a Saturday will suffice. I allowed myself a weekend, and that would've been ample time had I not broke the wire harness plug on my steering column. Waiting for that cost me a few days. Have patience and confidence, and you'll save yourself $800 in labor costs. You can try the stopleak, but keep in mind that is a temporary solution. If you don't have a heated workspace, that'll get you by until warmer weather. You could also bypass the core entirely, but you'll be giving up any heat source. I'd also suggest going with genuine Mopar for the replacement, you don't want to be back in there again anytime soon. Good luck!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Did mine about 3 weeks ago, under builds search for SN95GT50 my last entry has a link to Stu's write up and a great YouTube that I followed.

It took me 5.5 hours start to finish. Really not that bad but time consuming. I used the Mopar part, like someone else said, don't want to do it twice.

Good luck,
John

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too had the joy of replacing this. I would have loved to do it myself. But with the jeep being the daily driver and shared between me and my lady, it just wasn't an option. I just don't have the time to tear it all apart, especially under a time crunch, so I took it to the only mechanic I trust. Cost me about $700. I hate spending any money for a mechanic, but I had no choice this time... :(

·
Registered
48 Posts
Six.

Inside. Except for the heater hose connections in the engine compartment.

If you can do without heat, simply bypass the heater core by routing a hose from the water outlet housing to the water pump.

Another option is to add some radiator stop-leak and boiling water to the heater core only. I will not recommend for or against that procedure, but I have reports of it working. Under no circumstances would I personally add radiator stop-leak to the entire cooling system.
If you add it to the heater core (I'm assuming through the heater hoses) wouldn't the stop-leak cycle through the whole system anyway? And why would it be a problem to run stop leak through the cooling system?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
If you add it to the heater core (I'm assuming through the heater hoses) wouldn't the stop-leak cycle through the whole system anyway?
The idea is to fill the heater core with hot water and stop-leak. Let it dwell, then drain and flush the heater core. So there would be no significant amount of stop-leak anywhere else.

And why would it be a problem to run stop leak through the cooling system?
The stop-leak has a habit of obstructing things besides holes. Like radiator tubes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It can be done, it's helpful having a helper. Most say you have to remove the steering column, but it can be done by leaving it in. You just have to be creative. Took me about 6 hours.
X2 But still a pig of a job, all in all took me a weekend (steering wheel in place) on my own so I must be slow!!!
Well worth the effort, nice to have heat when the weather turns colder:iamhappy:
1998 4.0 RH Auto

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your responses. since this is not a daily driver I am going to wait for spring to do this myself.
I have seen pricing on a new heater core from $42 to $250.00. What should I expect to pay?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
check out wermopar.com
I think I paid about $90 for a mopar core.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts