Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heater fan started growling when on?

Reminds me of a baseball card in the spokes of a bike! Im thinking something probably got sucked into the fan somehow. Its vibrating the dash and is pretty darned loud when the fan is on high.

I was wondering if I pull apart the filter/flap box on the passenger side can I get into where the fan is? Sounds like its back in there somewhere...

Anyone else ever run into this?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine does it and I am stumped. It almost sounds like a fan with a bent blade or something. I haven't found the source. If you find the fix let us know.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I know this sounds dumb , but try hitting or kicking it. Lol my buddy said his did the same thing and it was a broken blade wedged inside

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I havn't pulled it apart yet but will soon as it is getting very annoying. I did kick it a couple times with no luck. Once I had a sharp noise and a swift kick made it quiet again. (I think that was pine needles up in there) but this ones a lot louder... I'll be sure to get a few pics when I yank it apart. I know for sure on the passenger side there is a filter looking thing on a flap, the filter is about as clogged as it can get but even if I pop the vent open by hand it doesn't change the sound at all.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had a '67 Ford F100 that did the same thing. The fan bearings went bad and I had to replace the motor.

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yesterday I wanted to pull it apart and we had a blizzard... today Im driving and I smell wires burning or really hot. I notice my fan stopped. I had stuffed a rag on the drivers side under the dash where the vent opens to keep cold air out. It got sucked into the cowl, went across the cowl to the passenger side, down the shute and into the squirrel fan. I don't have my camera but I will explain as best as I can what I did. Once I shut it off the smell went away, must have cought it in time. I pulled the small bolts out on the passenger side where the air box has the vent. Not the center one where it shoots out but all the way by the door. I removed the screws I could get to and opened it right up. The squirrel fan sits right there behind it and I can totally see how anything from up in the cowl could get sucked right down in. Once open, there was my rag... binding up the fan. I pulled the rag out and tried it, everything is working A OK again at this point.

Remember if you pull any of yours open to clear out debris that you'll want the key off just in case... I was really surprised how easy the fan was to get to. If your screws have a small nut head like mine did you can use of those bit type screwdrivers without a bit in it ;) same size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts