Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a problem with their heater where it's too hot when you turn it all the way up but too cold when turn it down just a little?

·
Premium Member
6,910 Posts
Absolutely. Our 2013 is my wife's DD. I don't know about it being too hot when it is all the way up but she has said that if it is turned down just a bit it is too cold.

Right now I'm dealing with Chrysler on whether ours is supposed to have HOAT or OAT coolant. Once we have that sort out and the dealer does a system flush and fill with the correct coolant I will see if the heating problem still exists and proceed from there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Anybody have a problem with their heater where it's too hot when you turn it all the way up but too cold when turn it down just a little?
I am having exactly this problem with the Auto Temperature Control on my 2015 Rubicon. In my case, it only starts happening after I've run the heater for about 30 minutes or more. At that point if I set it one notch below full heat (say 86 degrees) the heater blows cold, even though car is still cool inside. Only recourse is to set temp at MAX, which is too hot.

I took it to the dealer yesterday and told them to be sure to test it in the morning when the air is cold outside. Of course they waited till afternoon when it was 80 and then "couldn't duplicate problem" ("of course it blows cool when it's 80 degrees" they said)

So now I have to wait till Fall when daytime temps are cool to prove to them there is a problem. But I need it fixed now... it gets cold here in Santa Fe at night!

Anyone have thoughts how to fix it? If perhaps you know it's Module XYZ, I'll just pay to have that replaced, screw the warranty. Thx

·
Registered
87 Posts
Guys, the same thing happened to my 2012 JKU under warranty last year. It's the heater core which also ruined the radiator. They replaced both which took about 5 days lol. Without warranty, it would have cost a fortune. Now the heater works like a champ.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Guys, the same thing happened to my 2012 JKU under warranty last year. It's the heater core which also ruined the radiator. They replaced both which took about 5 days lol. Without warranty, it would have cost a fortune. Now the heater works like a champ.
Thanks. So just to be clear, your heater core was bad, but you were still able to got very hot air at the high heat setting? Let me know, thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks. So just to be clear, your heater core was bad, but you were still able to got very hot air at the high heat setting? Let me know, thanks.
Yes, sir. Very HOT heat at high heat setting, enough to scorch your skin, practically. And when starting Jeep up, it took quite some time to feel any heat at all. There was not 'in between' warm settings, pretty much from cool to extremely hot. I would suggest setting your heater on high heat until it kicks in (hot), lift your hood and see if you smell anything resembling a subtle burning smell. That's what mine smelled like. Also, I RECOMMEND checking your radiator to see if you're coolant is low. I about fried the engine, as the coolant was leaking due to the damage that had been done to the radiator. I had rapped up quite a few miles, not knowing that there was a major problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts