Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to this forum. I inherited my dad's 1973 jeep and the heater has never been good in it. We have had multiple people look at it including me and I can't figure it out. We live in Montana and would really like to either fix the heater or upgrade. Any help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd look into the Mojave heater. No experience with them however. Also, seat heaters are worth a thought.

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
Welcome to the Forum dntroberts,

I had a CJ7 with a V8 and the heat was almost non-existent.
I'd flush the cooling system with a chemical radiator flush, install a new 195* thermostat, new anti-freeze and make sure all the controls work like they should.
A hard top will hold the heat better than a soft top. If you don't have rear seat passengers, a windbreaker or windjammer from Quadratec will make the drivers area smaller and easier to heat.

The usual diagnostics apply too. Check the heater hose temps with a laser thermometer and check the temp of the heat coming out of the heater vent.

Sig220 suggests a Mojave heater and electric seat heaters. That's something to consider if you can't get the heat/defrost you need.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have a 1981 CJ7 with a 304 V8. I have a 160 degree therm in it and honestly it will not get hot enough. It won’t go over 160 degrees which I guess is good. But still. On the gulf coast it is only cold enough about 2 months out of the year. BUT - I am about to go to a lower degree therm so it will open up sooner and give some heat. Have no experience with the Mojave heaters but it could be an option. My old CJ5 with a 258 straight 6 and the 160 degree thermostat would put out some serious heat. Go figure !!!

·
Super Moderator
10,301 Posts
I have a 1981 CJ7 with a 304 V8. I have a 160 degree therm in it and honestly it will not get hot enough. It won’t go over 160 degrees which I guess is good. But still. On the gulf coast it is only cold enough about 2 months out of the year. BUT - I am about to go to a lower degree therm so it will open up sooner and give some heat. Have no experience with the Mojave heaters but it could be an option. My old CJ5 with a 258 straight 6 and the 160 degree thermostat would put out some serious heat. Go figure !!!
No, no, you need to go the other way. Go to a 195* thermostat. Then the coolant in the system will be hotter and have more BTUs to give up to the heater core. Opening sooner isn't any advantage if you drive more than a mile or two. Once the thermostat opens, you want the hottest coolant that your engine is designed to run. That means that it's taking more heat out of the engine assembly to be dissipated by the radiator and the heater core.

I suggest you use a chemical flush, run it for a week or so then back flush your heater core, radiator and engine. Then install the new MOPAR 195* thermostat with new coolant. Check all your hoses while the system is open and replace any that are questionable.

Good Luck, L.M.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts