Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i checked all threads on heater resistors and i noticed nobody asked what a bad heater resistor looked like.So i pulled mine today and since it is'nt like the old type you can't tell much by looking at it.My question is if the plastic coating is bubbled on the thing would that mean it's shot?

·
Registered
347 Posts
So i checked all threads on heater resistors and i noticed nobody asked what a bad heater resistor looked like.So i pulled mine today and since it is'nt like the old type you can't tell much by looking at it.My question is if the plastic coating is bubbled on the thing would that mean it's shot?
Yep! Bubbly coating or what looks like white corrosion means a bad resister pack. Rock Auto has replacements that are fairly cheap.

If this continues to happen frequently you should inspect the fan speed switch and wiring harness for melting or burnt spots.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kinda what i thought and sure enough the coating was bubbled,so far this is the first resistor pack i replaced.I'll definately look at the switch and wires cause i don't wanna replace it often,thanks Alexia

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
if i'm correct the fan in mine works but only works on one speed. when this happens to the fords at work we change the resister and it fixes it. so my question is "where is the resister on an '05 tj located"?

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
If you are a contortionist with long arms it is very easy to change.

I have found that removal of the glove box helps. Don't really get any better access but you can see and have more light that way. It is behind the glove box, beside the heater/blower motor. Worse part is getting to it. I have replaced it once when it was bad--and once when blower motor was bad.

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I did mine by kneeling outside the pass side and working by reaching in. I removed the glove box door. It's not absolutely mandatory, but easy enough to do. What really helped was to remove a broad plastic cover. The resistor faces forward into the airway and has a wire harness attached which you'll remove after unscrewing the 4 screws. 4 screws hold the resistor assy and 4 hold the cover. I used a nutdriver, I believe 8mm.

·
Premium Member
7,920 Posts
My '04 only has 2 holding it in place--with my steps and lift--height is wrong for me to work from outside---IDK about the broad plastic cover--sounds like a good idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts