Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just added a relatively heavy steel front bumper (net add about 110 lbs) to my otherwise stock 15 JKUR and I swear the highway pavement now feels twice as rough compared to stock, including, I think, feeling the knobs of the stock mud tires more. My imagination?

If this sounds right, can it be fixed with diff shocks or springs? I was considering a lift anyway. Want to fix it because it makes my long highway drives more tiring.

Thanks for thoughts on this.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Did your front end sag? Mine did with the bumper and winch and skids. I was bottoming out over speed bumps. I wanted a small lift so I went with OME 2" heavy coils. Got rid of the sag and rides great!

·
ExtremeTerrain.com Sponsoring Vendor
6,005 Posts
Just added a relatively heavy steel front bumper (net add about 110 lbs) to my otherwise stock 15 JKUR and I swear the highway pavement now feels twice as rough compared to stock, including, I think, feeling the knobs of the stock mud tires more. My imagination?

If this sounds right, can it be fixed with diff shocks or springs? I was considering a lift anyway. Want to fix it because it makes my long highway drives more tiring.

Thanks for thoughts on this.
You can certainly add stiffer springs to better handle the additional weight of the bumper. The down side is that your shocks won't be tuned for the heavier springs so you may not end up with a completely factory ride, but it should help.

Let me know if you're interested in a price on some Springs or Spacers!

-Ryan

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay thanks all. I just wanted to confirm that I was not crazy, that the extra 100 pounds could indeed lead to a rougher ride, and that a suspension change could fix it. I'll probably do that suspension change as part of a lift since I did lose a half inch from the bumper weight. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts