Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am looking on ways to carry at least 1 jerry can. I seen a mount that goes on to the spare tire. I am a little nervous about hanging 5 gallons off the tire with all that weight on the door. Any one have one or anyone know anything about them good bad or ugly.....

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have seen pictures of gas cans mounted on the side of the Jeep. Some right behind the front wheel. Others behind the rear wheel. I’m looking to mount a gas can as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
If you are concerned about the weight of a 5 gal (20l) jerry can full of fuel you can upgrade the tailgate hinges and/or use a smaller can such a a Rotopax 2 gal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So you don't have a problem with weight on the door?? I didn't know you could get heavier hinges. But I really want a 5 gal can. And I did see the mounts that go on the fender behind the front tire. But I can find them for a TJ. I have seen other mounts and figured I would try to modify something to be able to mount it somewhere.....Thanks

·
Registered
884 Posts
An oversize spare, jerry can, etc. will add a lot of weight to a stock tailgate and hinges which will eventually cause damage.

If you don't want a bumper with tire/can carrier you really need to reinforce the tailgate hinges and probably the tailgate itself.

A 20l NATO style jerry can weighs 9.46 lbs. 20l (5.8 gal.) of gasoline weighs about 36 lbs. So you should calculate that you will be adding almost 46 lbs. to your tailgate, almost 50 lbs if you carry a jerry can full of water.

Here are two options.

Exogate:
https://gr8tops.com/shop/jeepmodels/wrangler-lj-2/tj-lj-exogate

MORryde:
https://www.extremeterrain.com/morryde-tailgate-reinforcement-kit-9706.html

See this thread:

https://wrangler**forum.com/threads/morryde-vs-exogate.12152/

[Replace ** with TJ]

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i love this.......................................i can't put a fuel cell in my back end (completely inside and under a protective cover) and remain DOT legal, but i could carry 5gl or more out in the open on the back end ready for anybody to smash into...that's rich.

i've seen thin plastic units the bolt up behind the spare, but they are expensive IIRC.

·
Registered
884 Posts
The most likely reason for DOT issues with fuel cells is because they replace the factory tank and the accompanying emissions parts. It's an emission issue more than a fuel safety issue. You're comparing apples and oranges.

The "thin plastic units" are most likely Rotopax containers. I have several that I use with other vehicles. They are a good product. I have had zero issues with mine including the ones that are stored horizontally in a roof rack.

Pictured: two red 2-gal. Rotopax gasoline containers stacked on top of two white 2-gal Rotopax water containers. No leaking.

Here is how I carry extra fuel and water on my jeep:

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
In ball park
But 20l is more like 5.3 gallons
5.3 times 6.3 lbs/gallon gas is about 35.38lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
In ball park
But 20l is more like 5.3 gallons
5.3 times 6.3 lbs/gallon gas is about 35.38lbs
Whatever.

One cannot be that exact, especially not to 1/100 of a pound. Also a 20l Wavian NATO style jerry will hold a bit more than 21l before overflowing the lip.

+/- 1# is as close as one can reasonably estimate, hence "about 36 lbs."

Reactions: tj slipper

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Either way still kinda heavy...lol lol… don't think a tenth of a pound will save the hinges lol

·
Registered
269 Posts
Splitting hairs uh. I’m not sure I should mention this but last summer there was a collision just outside of town that involved an FJ, I think, with outside gas cans mounted that exploded and burned-up the driver. With a impact violent enough to make the gas cans explode may have been enough to kill the driver anyway but the fire took away any possibility of survival. Just a safety tip to not leave cans installed when you are DD.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
You couldn't give me a steel gas can and unless I just couldn't make it back to a gas station or tow rig on a full tank there's no way I'd strap a gas can to my jeep...

I know there are places where 20 gallons of gas isn't enough but I think most of the guys who strap on gas probably don't need to.

·
Registered
884 Posts
There are places in the western states where extra fuel capacity is necessary. I have also traveled in Baja and have experienced some of the more remote Pemex stations running out of gasoline.

Everyone's needs are different. My gasoline jerry can is usually empty to save weight but I'm glad I have it for those situations when I need to carry extra fuel to extend my range, deal with an unexpected lack of supply, or help a fellow jeeper low on fuel.

Reactions: tj slipper

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Jegs has 5gl or less bottles round or square. Might be easier to find room for.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I really don't think people are running around daily with full jerry cans of gas. But if I go off road into the desert I would give me piece of mind to have at least 5 extra gallons of gas and maybe even 5 gallons of water. Dang 4 bangers drink the gas so it would be nice to have a cushion.....

·
Registered
366 Posts
I run the metal cloak rear tire carrier/bumper and on trips out west I carry a 5 gal wavian jerry can on their optional accessory mount. Around where I live I remove the mount as it’s not needed.

I’ve never needed the extra gas but got to the closest gas station with the low fuel light on when running Moab to elephant hill and back to Moab. It’s nice to know you have a little backup when traveling.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The gas can on the back of my Jeep is empty. I was in the military and have see the combustible properties of gasoline. The other reason is the shelf life of gas . I live in Florida and after a hurricane I use the gas I have bought for my generator ASAP . Unless you buy storage fuel . And I didn’t want 20 gallons of gas in my garage . Call me crazy but I’m a safety first kinda guy. There a reason you have a reserve parachute.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts