Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted an issue with my rig losing spark. Yes, overnite all of a sudden she doesnt start. This is after replacing everything in the ignition system AND performing the Nutter By-Pass. So, the ECM effectively out of the equation. Right? So, Im getting that the Ignition Control Module could have went on me. (Even though this was replaced as well), but shit happens i guess. So, I thought i dont want to be replacing the ICM every three months and breaking down all over the place, so why dont I just go to a point based ignition. But here in the forum Im being told that the HEI distributor will be a good solution. Now, my question is....Will the installation of HEI do away with the need for the ignition control module? To change to an HEI, is it just a matter of dropping in a HEI distributor and calling it a day? Or, does it require more work than that? I am at a loss for why I am out of spark here. She was running tip top just before this happened. Shes still stuck where i left her a week ago because of a busy work week, but i need to get it home. Please help. I am not a pro here, just need to fix this and make her reliable again. Without spending alot of cash...already did that with replacing the ignition system.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
from what I understand its real easy...

GM HEI Distributor on Jeep 258 I6 Engine

As for "do away with the need for the ignition control module", yes and no. What you are doing is removing the Jeep ICM and replacing it with the HEI module. The HEI system is an all in one replacement with the control module, coil, and pickup all in one install; that makes it a little easier since all you really have to hook up is 12v.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts