Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way to work i gained a lot of respect for-and confidence in my jeep.
I was on a secondary type road, doing 50 or so when i see 4 head lights comming at me. i figured it was an optical illusion-2 vehicles comming around a bend. Surprize, it was some nimrod passing a plow. with not much time or distance to ponder this i hit the un plowed sholder as the 3 of us all passed each other at the same time. After wards i thought about what just happened-i hit probably 8-10 inches of packed, plowed snow probably still doing 40+ in 2 wheel drv. Julie(the jeep-have to call her something) took this like it was dry pavement-so slips, slides or roll overs which surprized me alot. I'm just real thankful not only for julie, but also that the idiot in the middle didn't decide to take the ditch also.
I'd be willing to bet there was a fresh pile of 'cheese curd' on the road way this am(my scense of humor-it was in Wi-some will get it, others won't)

Jeeps-you either 'get it' (and love em) or you don't-talk about a 'bonding experence :D

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I parked on the side of the street like a fool in a storm. :banghead: Come back to find the plow truck had embedded my jeep into the 3 foot high snow bank. Rocked him back and forth a few times and busted right out of there :D

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
With a name like Julie, she was bound to get you through it. ;)

·
Founder, ThumbJeeps
4,062 Posts
glad your ok! I to enjoy the handling. Its a bit different in 4 then in 2, your lucky the rear end did not want to come up next to you. Good job holding a steady line through it all.

We get a lot of drifted snow here in mid-MI. It will be an inch or so in one spot then up to 3-4 feet drifted across the road, or longways, the road will be filled in for upwards of a half mile to a mile and it can take 2-3 days for plows to clear it. And, hope its not windy! Or, it will all blow back in!

·
Registered
562 Posts
I was out and about in my Jeep yesterday, as the roads were all dry when I left. As I've mentioned several times here, I don't drive my Jeep in the winter much. Wasn't even gone an hour, but as they say here in Michigan, wait 5 minutes and the weather will change. Sure enough, it started snowing a fine, misty, wet snow like crazy. Didn't take but maybe 5 minutes and the roads were instantly covered and getting real bad. I saw several people sliding all over the place. Didn't even bother with 4wd and had no issues getting home. Jeeps actually handle pretty good in 2wd, as long as you have good tires and keep your foot off the gas.

Good job on maintaining it!!

·
Bludger
12,830 Posts
This morning on my way to work i gained a lot of respect for-and confidence in my jeep.
I was on a secondary type road, doing 50 or so when i see 4 head lights comming at me. i figured it was an optical illusion-2 vehicles comming around a bend. Surprize, it was some nimrod passing a plow. with not much time or distance to ponder this i hit the un plowed sholder as the 3 of us all passed each other at the same time. After wards i thought about what just happened-i hit probably 8-10 inches of packed, plowed snow probably still doing 40+ in 2 wheel drv. Julie(the jeep-have to call her something) took this like it was dry pavement-so slips, slides or roll overs which surprized me alot. I'm just real thankful not only for julie, but also that the idiot in the middle didn't decide to take the ditch also.
I'd be willing to bet there was a fresh pile of 'cheese curd' on the road way this am(my scense of humor-it was in Wi-some will get it, others won't)

Jeeps-you either 'get it' (and love em) or you don't-talk about a 'bonding experence :D
You call.....your Jeep......Julie?
Thats very nice :cool:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I was driving to work on some really snowy roads a few years ago. Some dillwad got on the onramp next to me and instantly merged over two lanes running me right off the road down into the median of the divided highway in 10" deep snow. I popped it in 4wd, drove back up the hill onto the road and passed the offending dillwad without ever coming to a complete stop. I don't usually like driving a Jeep as a commuter, but man I was glad I had it that day.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
Wow great stories! I saw snow once. It was 68 here yesterday when I was putting on the SPE 30 sunscreen for the ride home. BTW when summer comes you can remind me that it's 112 with 90% humidity here. I'm still looking for a way to run front and rear ac on my jeep.
And the north does not have all the nimrods...some moved down here.

·
Premium Member
1,011 Posts
I'm thinking you should have sent them a bit further south like Mexico.

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
yep, and my GPS is Jill which is also my nephew's wifes name. I tell him that my jill not only tells me where to go, but also how to get there
haha I bet his Jill just tells him where to go..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha I bet his Jill just tells him where to go..
funny part-i did not name her-garmin did-that's the name of the voice. tried the 'aussy' one, sounds nice, but even though it's english, didn't understand 1/2 of what she said------kinda like the 'spousal unit' :rolleyes:

·
Wheelin' and Dealin'
1,521 Posts
coincidence? I think not..

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm thinking you should have sent them a bit further south like Mexico.
be nice ;) actually spent almost 3 yrs stationed in el paso. almost stayed when i got out but that was the late 70's (damn that sounds old-and yes, it's a 19, not an 18 in front) but that was just befor the oil boom and there were no jobs(missed it by months)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts