Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forum and googled the world and I am totally confused. I installed a new bumper on my 2014 JK and that eliminated the OEM fog lights. I want to use the OEM switch on the turn stalk. I hear and read that it's OK to use existing wiring as long as you use a relay or don't do it, wire it up separately with a dedicated switch. I found a place that sells a plug n play from the OEM wiring to the lights and they say that is all I need - no relay and the stalk will do the job. So after all that, I am back with a question to the forum membership. Is there anyone who has installed a similar powered light system on a newer JK using one of the above methods or another setup all together? And if "all is well," would you give me a step by step or a picture of what you did? I would most definitely appreciate it.
An old retired sailor (but not an ET)

·
Registered
264 Posts
It is a popular opinion on here that the factory harness is not rated for the higher draw of the Hella's ( 110Watt for the H3's vs. 48Watts for stock H16's). I would use a separate, fused 12V+ with a relay that is triggered by the stock fogs hot wire. The stock wires are very thin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a popular opinion on here that the factory harness is not rated for the higher draw of the Hella's ( 110Watt for the H3's vs. 48Watts for stock H16's). I would use a separate, fused 12V+ with a relay that is triggered by the stock fogs hot wire. The stock wires are very thin.
I appreciate your reply; however, everyone can have opinions. I'm looking for someone who wired it up using the OEM wiring and found that it either worked or didn't. and if it didn't, what were the next steps. Extreme Terrain said that the OEM wiring was good to go. Headlight Revolution has a plug n play using the OEM wiring and hooking it to new lights. Others on this forum say use a separate relay. Again, I'm trying to find anyone who has actually did the install with OEM wiring and what happened?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have owned many Jeeps and have installed my share of lights and accessories over the years and have learned the hard way to always use a relay when installing high draw equipment. The companies that tell you to go ahead and use the factory wiring will not be standing on the side of the road or out in the wilderness with you when things go bad. It can cost thousands of dollars to replace a wiring harness in today's Jeeps. Luckily when I screwed up my installs it was in a CJ and the harness was easier to get to for repairs, and I have melted my fair share of wires, I even used a relay when I installed HID lights on my Goldwing so that the higher amperage wasn't pulled through the known weak Honda light switch. A SPDT relay is a very common relay that can be purchase at any automotive store or on line, and you can goggle how to wire it up and get thousands of pictures showing the wiring diagram. The relay will only require you to run one 12 or 10 gauge wire from the battery to the relay and then both lights can be run off of the single relay just use your factory wiring to trigger the relay, this set up guarantees peace of mind, just my two cents but it is the smarter way to install your lights. Good luck. PS make sure you install a fuse at the battery end of the hot wire, ask me how I know this.:whistling:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I am prepared to wire it up tomorrow using the relay with the OEM switch to trigger it. I just don't get the various folks who sell the merchandise and quite a few forum members who have said that they wired the lights up by splicing into the OEM wiring with no problems. I'd love to do it the easy way but I guess it will be "old school" procedure as I have wired lights "in the old days."

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install done; bumper is on and lights wired. Tried the plug n play from Headlight Revolution just for grins and I am still grinning - it worked, no flicker, no fire, no problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts