Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hella E-Code and the KC headlights and which ones would be better? The E-codes say they are not dot approved which confuses me. Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
The E-codes say they are not dot approved which confuses me.
They do not meet US Dept of Transportation specifications. If they did, they would not work so well.

You might want to avoid E-codes if you are required to undergo inspections. I have used them for years and never had an issue. But that doesn't make them legal.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I'm on my 3rd set of E-codes. I ran Deltas on my CJ5, then a set of Autopal (Hella clone) and now Hellas on my TJ. I love the E code beam/ pattern.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
How did you like the Deltas? I've been looking at them.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just finished installing my e-codes tonight. Haven't had a chance to check them out on the road yet. I've still gotta take them somewhere and get them aimed properly. I also used the 100/80 watt bulbs.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
DOT as indicated above are US Department of Transportation. E-Code (look it up. Google) are European Specification. European light are actually better. They have much stricter regulation regarding glare. They have a very sharp cut off line of light so not to blind other drivers.

Very few (never heard of any) inspections check the stamp on headlights. For what it worth, keep the old. If they check and flag you, pop in the old and go back.

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
The inspectors probably wouldn't know the difference anyway.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Love my E-Codes!!! KC was a thought... but having read the reviews, I went with Hella and glad I did.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts