Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning,

Snowing here.

Have the Hella ecodes, they work great!

Question is, will they work better with an upgraded wiring harness?

Stephen

·
Knows a couple things...
49,371 Posts
No, and that is because they're only 55/60 watts which is essentially the same wattage as the OE 55 watt headlights. The TJ's wiring harness gauge is rated to carry twice the current that wattage requires so you wouldn't see a gain by installing an aftermarket relay controlled harness.

If you were installing aftermarket headlights with significantly higher wattage ratings like the 80/120 watt lights I installed years ago, then yes a replacement wiring harness with a relay would be required and produce a brighter light.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jerry

Ok, I won't mess with it.

Thank you, I have a tendency to overthink things a bit.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Morning,

Snowing here.

Have the Hella ecodes, they work great!

Question is, will they work better with an upgraded wiring harness?

Stephen
Google Headlight Services and read their article about voltage drop as it relates to headlight output then make your own decision. Its an eye opener.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,371 Posts
Google Headlight Services and read their article about voltage drop as it relates to headlight output then make your own decision. Its an eye opener.
For the electrical reasons I described above, which is a field I have been in for 50 years, there is no benefit to be gained by installing an aftermarket harness and relay for the wattage of headlights he asked about. The OE wiring gauge is oversized enough to easily flow the current drawn by them without significant voltage drop. Only with higher wattage bulbs would a wiring harness and relay be worth installing. A little basic Ohm's Law math would easily back up what I'm saying here.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Age may have added resistance. If in doubt throw a voltmeter on the connection at the headlight with the lights on. If you aren't getting full system voltage then a harness may help.

Also check voltage drop across the ground side. Hook one voltmeter lead to the ground at hte light, the other to the battery negative. Any voltage reading is the drop due to resistance.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For the electrical reasons I described above, which is a field I have been in for 50 years, there is no benefit to be gained by installing an aftermarket harness and relay for the wattage of headlights he asked about. The OE wiring gauge is oversized enough to easily flow the current drawn by them without significant voltage drop. Only with higher wattage bulbs would a wiring harness and relay be worth installing. A little basic Ohm's Law math would easily back up what I'm saying here.
Didn't say you were wrong Jerry just suggested he do so research and make his own decision.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts