Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new JK owner - bought yesterday and my wife and I took a short drive last night--- I had read several post r/t the JK poor night time lighting and I thought maybe it was over dramatics but sorry to say you guys were right - my 2013 JKU lights SUCK.
So they will be upgraded this week.
ALready have on order the Pilot Pl203 driving lights from amazon which seem to get high praise..
Not intereseted in forking out the $30 for a lightbulb upgrade to be dissapointed and then turn around and order something else and have theat $30 wasted..
Does anyone have any comparrisons with the Hella H4 conversion kit vs the Hellfire HID kit ?
The Hella H4 gets good praise here and sells for $247
The Hellfire HID gets very little mention here and sells for $229 shipped

I have an Acura TL as my primary car and it has HIDs that light up the night - love these lights ...I wasnt expecting the Jeeps to be as good as my TL but overall the Jeeps suck- not sure if I had siad that yet..

Not interested in spending $420 for the Trucklites..other mods are already in progress..

So the question is-- how do the Hellfire HIDs perform ?

Rebeloffroad has a nice video with demonstration..input?

·
Registered
269 Posts
There is a reason they get little mention here. Tossing HID bulbs in a housing not meant for them tends to look A: Cheap and B:Blinding to other drivers.
The light scatters and generally looks like crap.

If you want HID spend the money to do it right.
Even the stock photos of that setup on Rebel's site look like shit in my opinion.
I've had the Hella H4 setup in another car. It's pretty nice.
I'd never personally put HID bulbs in a car that didn't have housings to match so my experience is limited to being blinded by the all the people who thought it was a good idea on my way home from work in the mornings.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
anyone else have a comment ?

Thanks Tex for your input!

·
Registered
12,640 Posts
There is a reason they get little mention here. Tossing HID bulbs in a housing not meant for them tends to look A: Cheap and B:Blinding to other drivers.

Even the stock photos of that setup on Rebel's site look like shit in my opinion.
I'd never personally put HID bulbs in a car that didn't have housings to match so my experience is limited to being blinded by the all the people who thought it was a good idea on my way home from work in the mornings.
^^^^This! If you want someone to drive into you because they can't see, it might be for you.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The reason I started a new thread was because I had never seen much mention of the HID nor a comparrison between the two...
Reason for the new thread is that not everyone reads the lighting thread and if your not currently or recently in the market for lights then most likely fewer people would respond to a question..

Also I did read the lighting thread and on page 24 post #710, it states you can start a new thread to discuss lighting options..

SO once again thanks for any input..

From the lighting thread from moderator Coyote 94YJ
Attention!!!​

Forum Rule Change

After careful consideration and deliberation WF Staff has decided to rescind the rule in regards to allowing only one JK lighting thread. You may now start new threads to discuss [COLOR=blue !important]lighting options[/COLOR] for the JKs. With that being said, the discussion of the legality of various types of lighting is still prohibited and will result in immediate closure of the thread and infraction points being issued. If you are unsure about the rules read the first post in this thread.

Pass the word around.

Thanks,

Coyote_94YJ
WF Staff

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Deacon said:
The reason I started a new thread was because I had never seen much mention of the HID nor a comparrison between the two...
Reason for the new thread is that not everyone reads the lighting thread and if your not currently or recently in the market for lights then most likely fewer people would respond to a question..

Also I did read the lighting thread and on page 24 post #710, it states you can start a new thread to discuss lighting options..

Attention!!!

Forum Rule Change

After careful consideration and deliberation WF Staff has decided to rescind the rule in regards to allowing only one JK lighting thread. You may now start new threads to discuss lighting options for the JKs. With that being said, the discussion of the legality of various types of lighting is still prohibited and will result in immediate closure of the thread and infraction points being issued. If you are unsure about the rules read the first post in this thread.

Pass the word around.

Thanks,

Coyote_94YJ
WF Staff
Ahh did not know they changed.... Apologies :)

·
Registered
8,929 Posts

A rebased HID capsule in a halogen reflector doesn't work right (and isn't legal).
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Have/had the same exact same issue as the OP. The lighting thread is very technical and has a lot about auxilliary lighting- which I will add later. However I am also currently looking to upgrade the headlights. In CA there is a ton of ambient lighting everywhere- however on a recent trip to pitch dark Utah I was pretty horriifed at the stock lighting. Officially overtaken all other mods....
Seems like HID is a bad idea: but I can't find a difference between the Hella H4 and H13. Can anyone help? Is this the best bet vs. Phillips? I was pretty happy with Phillips on my truck.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts

Attention!!!​

Forum Rule Change

After careful consideration and deliberation WF Staff has decided to rescind the rule in regards to allowing only one JK lighting thread. You may now start new threads to discuss [COLOR=blue !important]lighting options[/COLOR] for the JKs. With that being said, the discussion of the legality of various types of lighting is still prohibited and will result in immediate closure of the thread and infraction points being issued. If you are unsure about the rules read the first post in this thread.

Pass the word around.

Thanks,

Coyote_94YJ
WF Staff

I posted the link NOT because I thought you shouldn't start a new thread, BUT to assist you in case you hadn't already seen it.

If you feel offended in any way, my apologies. I will offer no further input to your thread.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Silversport and Kjeeper10 --no problems nor apologies

Appreciate all input besides I dont get offended easily...

Looks like it will be the H4 conversion Mod on my short list

·
Registered
211 Posts
I also think aftermarket HID looks crappy. Beam is too wide and blinds others.

My Mini has adaptive HID and they are awesome they don't blind on comers and move side to side and up and down depending on wheel location and going up and down hills.

I agree our lights are crap but I would never do a HID on mine, unless I changed the housing for a projector type that controls the beam.

I might add a ouple hella black magics to the front though.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am sure Hilldweller will correct me, but the H13 is what is stock, which pulsates the current thru your electrical system, unnoticed my cheap bulbs. Probably attributed to the cycles of current are not long enough to allow the filament to cool. Upgrading to the H4 with a wiring harness that is supplemented with the battery will keep a constant current going thru your lines that go to your headlamps. Better lighting can be had with the stock reflectors, buy getting good bulbs, Philips Extreme +80 or +100.

My recommendation is to use SMS or Daniel Stern and know your are getting quality, and legal. Or, just use them to get the h13 to H4 harness and get a pair of LEDs (Trucklite or JW Speakers). I have the JW Speakers, and couldnt be happier. Hella bright and look bad a$$. Truck lights are cheaper, and stats say they put out better light. For the most extreme change, go with 90mm projectors from SMS. Bill reports that they are the best legal light for the JK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts