Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SMS Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon High/Low Headlamp Kit | Rally Lights

Need to adjust them a bit more, easy install, hardest part was locating where to install the ballasts. Very well made kit. Only had them installed for 24 hours, but they seem to put out lots of nice white light. Only issue of concern so far is they seem to run cool.(icing?) These are on my 2010 JK so engine bay access might differ with the 3.6. Need to play with my camera's night settings a bit also. More install pics if anyone wants them just ask. Oh, and Happy New Year!

Attachments

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd enjoy having more light but I can't see the need to add moving parts to a headlight. Just one more thing to go wrong is my first impression.

They should be good though, at that price only those with a lawyer on retainer can afford them. : )

·
Registered
122 Posts
SMS Hella 90mm Bi-Xenon High/Low Headlamp Kit | Rally Lights

Need to adjust them a bit more, easy install, hardest part was locating where to install the ballasts. Very well made kit. Only had them installed for 24 hours, but they seem to put out lots of nice white light. Only issue of concern so far is they seem to run cool.(icing?) These are on my 2010 JK so engine bay access might differ with the 3.6. Need to play with my camera's night settings a bit also. More install pics if anyone wants them just ask. Oh, and Happy New Year!

I'm sorry but your last pic reminds me of Marty Feldman
ImageUploadedByAG Free1483203786.551034.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^LOL

Looks like high beams is all you need for offroad, crazy amount of output.
I could still recess them a bit for a more flush look, but I was after function and I'll get used to the aesthetics of them. I aimed them a bit low too, because I have the soft top on now and usually have a rear passenger too. The high beams really carry. I convinced myself that too about not needing to buy additional lights, ha ha. My other three vehicles have HIDS and I found myself leaving the jeep home when it was dark. I'm in a rural/suburban area with no street lights, plenty of woods, windy roads and wildlife. Now I just have to finish the Mopar big brake kit for the front to complement the Terra-flex large rear rotors. I'm at an age when I really appreciate seeing and stopping.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy crap those are expensive!
Yeah took a while for me to justify the cost. They had a holiday sale so it was ONLY $1331............... I started to go down the road , phillips 80+ extreme bulbs then I was tempted to go with some cibies and H4's, then it would have been the JWS or the 2017 oem leds. So, I cut to the chase. I really like good light output. The other vehicles in the stable all have HIDS and it got to the point I would leave the Jeep home when it was dark and I love driving my jeep. Plus the kids use it when they are visiting so that and some brake upgrades and it's good to go. If they could get that cost down to a grand it would have a lot more appeal. When you hold them and look at how well they are built you can understand the cost. The Germans appear to be the ones to catch with regards to automotive lighting. Next up Laser........

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I have looked at these and I think I can deal with the look. If the bulbs last 7+ years the cost is still well over the cibie h4s, but spending 50 bucks every 9 months or less on bulbs, you start debating getting them. When i first saw them, they were almost 2 grand, but at 1300, the cost is easier to swalllow, buy still pricey no doubt. How big are the ballasts?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd enjoy having more light but I can't see the need to add moving parts to a headlight. Just one more thing to go wrong is my first impression.

They should be good though, at that price only those with a lawyer on retainer can afford them. : )
I understand your point, my wife's vehicle has HIDS and hers in addition to the shutters, articulate also. Eighth + years and 162k so far I replaced one bulb at 155k. (The replacement units for her vehicle are $900 per side) Granted the jeep bounces around a bit more, but these are designed for racing,RV's, buses etc so I think they will hold up. They appear very robust. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have looked at these and I think I can deal with the look. If the bulbs last 7+ years the cost is still well over the cibie h4s, but spending 50 bucks every 9 months or less on bulbs, you start debating getting them. When i first saw them, they were almost 2 grand, but at 1300, the cost is easier to swalllow, buy still pricey no doubt. How big are the ballasts?
Almost the size of a deck of cards except square. You make a good point about the bulbs, these DS2 modules are $100 a piece average, that's just the bulb. Like anything if you used them for a few years I bet you can recoup $700 to $800 on resale if you changed your mind. I would hate replacing bulbs every six months. The jeeps PWM system makes the bulbs last forever, but the light output is terrible. I noticed the stock halogens even flickered. These are rock solid steady when it comes to output.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If it's not too much trouble, can you get a pic of what the back of the housing looks like?

I already have a bunch of OE HID Kits, and am wondering if I can just get the Housings, and use what I have here.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it's not too much trouble, can you get a pic of what the back of the housing looks like?

I already have a bunch of OE HID Kits, and am wondering if I can just get the Housings, and use what I have here.
Let it be said, let it be done..............:) Of course I didn't take a side shot...............

Attachments

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Yes, i replace my h4s about every 9. I used 55/65 osram bulbs, which they stopped making. One would usually burnt out around winter. People using the 80/100 and 100/130 repace them sooner. Yes, if i was replacing h4 bulbs every 6 months, ouch. If that was the case, i would go hids(stern told me that was the best when I bought the cibies off of him). I want to, there are just other upgrades I want to do first. I have one pair of the osram bulbs left and then I would need to buy a different brand. Might bite the bullet. Thought about leds, but with the snow and cold. How hard is the adjustment on the hids?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you! So there's no Cap or Rubber Grommet that goes over the connection to the Bulb?
No it has a 1/4 turn plug that can be turned three or four ways so the wire exits correctly for the intended application. The other end is connected to the ballast. Complete with thick o-ring. The smaller connection on bottom in previous pic is for the shutter, high/low beam. Sorry for blurry pic, I was trying to get them installed before my son needed the Jeep............

Attachments

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Yep, I have a bunch of those Ballasts, I was just wondering if the connection stays open, or if there was some type of sealing cap or cover to keep out any moisture that may make its' way into the housing.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I have a bunch of those Ballasts, I was just wondering if the connection stays open, or if there was some type of sealing cap or cover to keep out any moisture that may make its' way into the housing.
The plug that goes into the ballast to trigger it is a standard oem type headlight connection "clips in". The cable from the ballast to the projector is hardwired "sealed" at the ballast

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, i replace my h4s about every 9. I used 55/65 osram bulbs, which they stopped making. One would usually burnt out around winter. People using the 80/100 and 100/130 repace them sooner. Yes, if i was replacing h4 bulbs every 6 months, ouch. If that was the case, i would go hids(stern told me that was the best when I bought the cibies off of him). I want to, there are just other upgrades I want to do first. I have one pair of the osram bulbs left and then I would need to buy a different brand. Might bite the bullet. Thought about leds, but with the snow and cold. How hard is the adjustment on the hids?
Sorry, about delay, I lost track of the posts. On recommendation from SMS I didn't add horizontal adjustment screws, so these mount into the existing buckets, it's just like stock adjustment, a 15 mm torx screwdriver and you are golden. That was the one good thing about the PWM of the jeep stock was the "good" bulbs even lasted forever. I tried a pair in my Subaru and the bulbs were done in six months. I'll follow up after the NY winter with the icing concern. I think letting these lamps protrude a bit from the shroud might help too if they don't get warm enough. If I lived in the south I would have just opted for the new 2017 oem leds. Those beam patterns seem pretty nice and my stock housings never clouded or yellowed in 6.5 years so they should hold up also. The hella halogen projectors look good too, but the bulb life looks really bad on the H9. I didn't want to be changing bulbs at an in opportune moment. I need a whiter light and lots of it, I'm getting older and my eyes really appreciate it. The cutoff is real defined on the low beams so it doesn't bleed into a standard cars side mirrors and then the high beam just keeps carrying. I spent so much time researching headlights over the last four years these suckers are well into five figures if I billed myself out hourly........:)

Attachments

·
Registered
868 Posts
One could buy enough lights to light up Lmbeau Field for that money.
You know, I'm usually not one to quell a fellow members post, thread or write up about any particular product. But, I kind-a have to agree with the above statement in that, for that kind of money, there's a whole lot of Jeep aftermarket products that can be purchased and used, other than just TWO HEADLIGHTS.

Please don't get me wrong here. Everyone has different ideas on what's a priority for goofing around improving our beloved JEEPS! It really doesn't matter to me how much one spends on any particular product. It's their money and their Jeep. I just can't seem to wrap my head around "$1,400" for a set of head lights. I really, really hope you're (the OP) happy with the outcome in the end.

They do however, look like Marty Feldman for sure. Good luck with them and, I surely hope they don't malfunction anytime soon with that kind of investment. Happy New Year.
Scott

1 - 20 of 43 Posts