Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's time to fish instead of cut bait.

I'm buying tires and wheels. I've narrowed it down to two tires:

Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75R17 C (33.86x11.5)

Milestar Patagonia M/T 295/70R17 (34x12)

They are within 1.5 - 2 lbs of each other. They both get great reviews. I have a '15 JK Rubicon, manual T, with a 4.10 in it. I will do mountain trails, but not a lot (if any) severe rock crawling. Most of the time, these will be on the road...so noise, wear, rain performance (maybe snow...I may move north soon), are important.

I take care of my tires. I currently have 78,000 on the OEM set of MTs that came with the Jeep. I'll bet I still have 5 or 10k left in them. I do five tire rotations.

I will be buying 2.5" MC Gamechanger lift. I'm still debating about the shocks that go with that.

I will not be regearing.

Using super rough estimates of a 60,000 mile life in the Nittos and a 45,000 life on the Patagonias, knowing that I drive about 20,000 miles per year, I get about $77/yr cost on the Nittos and $86/yr on the Patagonia... those are based on a cost that I got on a quick Amazon search for tire pricing.

I'm getting five tires and five wheels. Right now the favorite wheel is a Method 315 aluminum beadlock lookalike....8.5" rim with 4.75" back spacing.

I'm toying with Vision and KMC beadlocks. The KMCs only come in 9" width in the 17" wheel though. Rock Monster is a possibility also. While I do air down when I go off road, I'm not sure I do it often enough to justify the beadlocks, but... damn!...I just like the look and I like knowing that I have that capability of I need it.

Opinions?

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
Tires, I have the 315-70-17 BFG KO2's load C and they are great. Not a killer mud or rock tire, very quiet and smooth.

Wheels, I like Method machine finish. Be sure to get a hub centric or at least get the hub centric rings. I like 4 1/2 inches of backspace.

Get what you like, they last a long time. True bead locks are not street legal everywhere but people seldom get busted. More of a liability thing in an accident. They can be hard to balance, but no experience with that. I love the look also.

·
Registered
2016 JKU 75th Edition, 2" Mopar lift 1" spacer lift, Ultimate Dana 44 front, Front and rear locker,
282 Posts
I have the 285 75 17 Ridge Grappler and they have been great. Very quite on the road and a great DD tire. I have not been any place to truly test them off road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'll save the next 10 replies....
KO2
Duratrack
KO2
Duratrack
KO2
Duratrack
KO2
Duratrack
KO2
Duratrack

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I prefer the Duratracs, but have heard many good things about the KO2's.:D

Reactions: jethro65

·
Premium Member
494 Posts
While not a fan of the prices Nitto charge, I’d opt for them without hesitation if only offered these two choices as I’ve several friends in the tire business who have relayed stories about Patagonias have more than the usual amount of problems, especially when they get to mid-life and beyond.

·
Registered
879 Posts
KO2
Method

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
Based on your description of how you wheel I would not do bead locks too cons vs pros. Many tire shops won’t touch them. If dead set on getting a set I’d get a set that can run as bead locks and conventional like aev borahs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have had Nitto Ridge Grapplers in 285/75-R17 for around 15,000 miles now and love them. I live in Michigan so they saw plenty of snow and ice last winter, as well as rain quite often, and I have/had no issues with traction. Have also used them in mud, sand dunes, and some mild rock crawling with no issues there either.

Like others have said, pretty quiet and a great daily driver. Surprisingly, very little wear over the time I have had them.

I don't have personal experience with the Patagonias but I have heard good things about them as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Of your two choices, the Nittos.

....but I'm a Cooper fan and like the ST-Maxx. And I'd suggest 255/80-17 to save some fuel economy. (also available Mastercraft in that size, made by Cooper but costs less)

And 78K from a tire? I've never in my life come close to that. The aggregate in the roads combined with our ridiculous heat eats tires.

Reactions: jethro65 and jadmt

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts

....but I'm a Cooper fan and like the ST-Maxx. And I'd suggest 255/80-17 to save some fuel economy. (also available Mastercraft in that size, made by Cooper but costs less)

And 78K from a tire? I've never in my life come close to that. The aggregate in the roads combined with our ridiculous heat eats tires.
We chip seal all roads here and it eats tires here too although I’m glad because I’d hate running the same tires that long :) I am embarrassed to admit how many I have been through. My 2018 has 29000 miles and 5 sets of tires if including stock. 3 of those sets being st maxx’s. If a person knew how many sets of Toyo tires I have had since 2012 I’d be committed. I like fat tires, skinny tires, tall tires,tires that climb on rocks....I know not in the running but I’m loving my Falken at3w in 255/80-17s as well as my 315/70-17 st maxx’s. Nice to be able to run two sets.

Reactions: Hilldweller

·
Registered
622 Posts
Let's look at door #3. Get a set of stock, OEM 255-70-17 wheels/tires off Craigslist. I've bought a number of sets of these for $200 to $250 where they almost always have a spare that's never even touched pavement and the other 4 are maybe 6/32". Use these when you're driving on the road. When they're getting near worn out, find another set on Craigslist.

Now you can get something more aggressive for offroading. I went with Dick Cepek Extreme Country. There are certainly others. If you want quiet, run those stock all seasons you bought off craigslist. The Cepeks are absolutely NOT quiet. But on the trails, going up hills, my open diff sport has taken some where stocker Rubicons are winching themselves up. Tires make a big difference offroading.

Something to consider. I have a big shed with nothing but wheels and tires for all my vehicles. Some people call it the Tire Rack.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Let me guess... Texas? . I lived in San Antonio when I had my Triumph Speed Triple and I went for long rides in the Hill Country (Three Twisted Sisters) every weekend. I put Michelin PR4s on the bike. In Kansas I could get 8,000 per set on those easily. In Texas? 5,000...tops.

Damn chip seal.

As you can see...I still have miles to go before these are totally gone.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Let me guess... Texas? . I lived in San Antonio when I had my Triumph Speed Triple and I went for long rides in the Hill Country (Three Twisted Sisters) every weekend. I put Michelin PR4s on the bike. In Kansas I could get 8,000 per set on those easily. In Texas? 5,000...tops.

Damn chip seal.

As you can see...I still have miles to go before these are totally gone.
No, Georgia mountains.

When I lived in Florida I'd get 24,000 miles from a set of tires on my Goldwing. 6 to 8 thousand in Georgia.

Best I've gotten on the Jeep is 38,000 so far.

Reactions: AAONMS

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Nitto without a doubt. I believe that Toyo/Nitto is currently producing the highest quality tires available. I have Toyo/Nitto tires on every vehicle I own and couldn't be happier with the performance of every model I've tried.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well one is a MT and the other is an AT, so I would say the AT is going to be quieter, perform better in the rain, and wear longer.

·
Registered
418 Posts
With the miles you're putting on and the anticipated usage...and limited choices you're set on...Nitto hands down.

Tires are kinda like Oil...everyone's got their personal preference on flavor, but if your usage puts you more in the AT tire category, I'd almost lean towards the Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
My daughter has the Nitto's and I have the Patagonia's. I completely disagree with all negative comments above on the Patagonia's. My direct experience proves otherwise to me. Also, check the "Milestar Jeep Group" on Facebook. It's a huge source of real life Patagonia experience. If off-road capability is your first priority, choose the Patagonia's.

However, based on your description of use, I would go with the Nitto's as they will be better in rain and other inclement weather conditions. They are also slightly quieter than the Patagonia's. Also, I'll agree with above, if you might end up where snow and other conditions might exist, the Falken AT3W would be the best choice.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Cooper ST MAXX.
Great on/off road tire.
Quiet, ride great, look good, and get awesome mileage

1 - 20 of 38 Posts