Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. First post and looking for some insightful knowledge. My past has been in the world of broncos and most recently an FJ Cruiser that I just passed on to my daughter. Looking for another 4x4 and really want to give a Wrangler a go. I have been researching and had two in mind. One is a 08 sahara with 124k but looks to be in really nice shape and priced well. the other is an 04 sahara, also appears to be in good condition. I've read too much on the 3.8 and it has me turned off from the 08. I would like to get y'alls input on this TJ
04 sahara
I will be going to look at it in a day or two. Any info I can gather on the TJ and this particular one would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Hello all. First post and looking for some insightful knowledge. My past has been in the world of broncos and most recently an FJ Cruiser that I just passed on to my daughter. Looking for another 4x4 and really want to give a Wrangler a go. I have been researching and had two in mind. One is a 08 sahara with 124k but looks to be in really nice shape and priced well. the other is an 04 sahara, also appears to be in good condition. I've read too much on the 3.8 and it has me turned off from the 08. I would like to get y'alls input on this TJ 04 sahara I will be going to look at it in a day or two. Any info I can gather on the TJ and this particular one would be greatly appreciated.
It looks really clean.
Definitely check for rust and oil leaks.
Rear main seal is a common problem on the 4.0's causing it to leak oil.
Not really an expensive fix so don't be turned off by that.
Looks like there is some type of lift on it along with possible 33" tires?
Try and find out what type/brand lift is on it and take it on a test drive over 60mph.
Check for vibrations and front end wobbles.
If all checks out, I would pull the trigger

·
Registered
631 Posts
04 is possibly one of best years. Any initial issues with the TJ design had been worked out long ago, the cracking head in the 00-01 models was fixed, and this is before the OPDA issues of the 05-06 models.

Looks like a nice Jeep at a reasonable price.

Check rust for sure, although if the Jeep has been in Texas its whole life that shouldnt be as big of an issue.

Make sure to see what kind of a lift kit is on there. Looks to be in the 3in range with 33s. Think about the possible cost of fixing the lift if it was done improperly. Figue out what all was modified, and what brand, and with a few google searches you can likely see what other people have said about that lift setup.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Might be a good idea to find out for sure what gears are in it and axles, also check the frame real good for rust

·
Registered
374 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow thanks Jwright2197! Great info!
Only thing that kinda bothers me is this in the car fax report
08/15/2007 36,342 Iowa
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title #57AB86016 Title or registration issued
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Beige
10/30/2007 Iowa
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Cedar Rapids, IA
Title #57AB86016 Registration issued or renewed
Loan or lien reported
Vehicle color noted as Black
I was totally going to walk away from this TJ until I saw the build sheet. looks like it was always black on black.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
My guess is that when someone registered it, they included the interior color. I wouldn't stress too much about it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
04 is possibly one of best years. Any initial issues with the TJ design had been worked out long ago, the cracking head in the 00-01 models was fixed, and this is before the OPDA issues of the 05-06 models.

Looks like a nice Jeep at a reasonable price.

Check rust for sure, although if the Jeep has been in Texas its whole life that shouldnt be as big of an issue.

Make sure to see what kind of a lift kit is on there. Looks to be in the 3in range with 33s. Think about the possible cost of fixing the lift if it was done improperly. Figue out what all was modified, and what brand, and with a few google searches you can likely see what other people have said about that lift setup.
I don't want to hi-jack the thread but I have to ask, what are OPDA issues??

·
Registered
150 Posts
My guess is that when someone registered it, they included the interior color. I wouldn't stress too much about it.
I bet that's exactly what happened. Nothing at all to worry about. This looks like a really solid jeep. Other than rust I wouldn't be afraid of much on this jeep. When you go look at it be sure to check it throughly underneath and on the frame. I am pretty jealous of the Dana 44. I've got a 35 in my jeep and currently budgeting well over a thousand dollars for a conversion.

·
Registered
296 Posts
the OPDA (oil pump drive assembly) replaced the distributor when Jeep went to electronic ignition. For 2005 they changed the OPDA design to one that regularly failed. There is a TSB out there but the long and short of it is Chrysler had a terrible design that they never fixed. I replaced mine with a Crown unit that has an updated design to alleviate the failure. My stock one was working fine but I considered it a precautionary swap at 114k miles, failure of that component can quickly lead to catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all for the piece of mind, greatly appreciate all the feedback provided. I am well versed on the rust issues. A while back I bought a 67 mustang to restore looked like a great candidate, did the magnet thing, had friends look at it.. bought it, stripped it, nothing but bondo holding it together. Lesson learned. But hey, gave me a reason to break out my welder and try my hand at body work… LOL Sold it for parts.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks all for the piece of mind, greatly appreciate all the feedback provided. I am well versed on the rust issues. A while back I bought a 67 mustang to restore looked like a great candidate, did the magnet thing, had friends look at it.. bought it, stripped it, nothing but bondo holding it together. Lesson learned. But hey, gave me a reason to break out my welder and try my hand at body work… LOL Sold it for parts.
I've been there on the project that goes no where...I bought a miata to turn into an Exocet which went well until the government wanted their taxes. Ended up parting the car and doubling my money. Lesson learned, but it wasn't all bad.

·
Registered
631 Posts
In 05 Jeep changed the assembly that drives the oil pump and provides fuel injection timing. This assembly meshes with the camshaft, but because of a issue with lubrication in that assembly the assembly drive gear and camshaft gear have abnormal wear. So if not fixed the assembly could sieze, mess up the gears, and possibly kill the engine. The fix is to buy a new OPDA assembly that has better lubrication and keep an eye on things.

·
Registered
279 Posts
In 05 Jeep changed the assembly that drives the oil pump and provides fuel injection timing. This assembly meshes with the camshaft, but because of a issue with lubrication in that assembly the assembly drive gear and camshaft gear have abnormal wear. So if not fixed the assembly could sieze, mess up the gears, and possibly kill the engine. The fix is to buy a new OPDA assembly that has better lubrication and keep an eye on things.
Oh wow, I didn't know about that. I just bought my 05 last summer. Hopefully this was fixed

·
Registered
631 Posts
Oh wow, I didn't know about that. I just bought my 05 last summer. Hopefully this was fixed
I would pull it and check. There was no recall so chances are it has not been replaced.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Did you end up getting the jeep?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts