Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin at getting lights, for now they will be the windshield mounted lights but I can't decide if I want to do the Hella slimlites or the KC slimlites

Or would I be better off goin with the KC Daylighter series of lights?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Daylighters and slim lights, the only difference is size and cost. Side by side they are identical in light outout (that I can tell).

Never used hellas, but I've heard thay are good as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm lookin at the Hella Black Magic 500 Series slimlites, I like the way they look but I'm not sure about the 12v/55w bulbs compared to the 100w that KC has...

What does the wattage translate into lamens(sp) terms?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
THe power required by the bulb, but it can also relate to brightness, think of lights in your house or a 3 way bulb, 50w vs 100w vs 150w... but in auto lights your brightness will also be affected by the optic and reflecter quality.

Power (w) = Volts (12) * I (amps)
P/V= I

55/12= 4.6 amps draw
130/12= 10.8 amps draw

so 3 pairs of 130w kc = 32.4 amps to power

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Its part of it, but not the most important. Like more power, more light. but if you dont use quality products, like off-road lights from the dollar store, and you put 150w bulbs in them, they wouldn't be any where near as bright as a pair of quality 100w lights.

Then if you look at HIDs, 35w lights are brighter than a 130w light. Watts just tell you what kind of load your going to be putting on your electrical system. If you want bright lights look for lumens or candle power. More is better.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I may not be the brightest bulb in the box, but you get enough together and we'll surely light up a room. (I use my KCs on the road when its pitch black and I haven't seen a street light in a few miles) 55w is just the legal amount

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Having had several sets of kc driving lights over the years, it's very hard to beat their quality and it's impossible to beat their no questions asked 23 year unlimited warranty that even covers burned out bulbs. And there is no doubt a 150 watt KC will be brighter than a 55 watt Hella since their optics are very similar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts