Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Hellwig 7749 Front Sway Bar without detachable end-links to further improve my handling. Being surprised at how much just installing the rear Hellwig made in corning and overall handling, I was curious about the front.

This is also adjustable as you can use one of the 3 holes in the sway bar to tune the handling.

Really curious how this will work. I drive 100% percent street, daily driver. If I do anything off road it will be mild.

Attachments

Reactions: Ehtacs and chode

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It has arrived. Project for the weekend. I'm going for maximum handling!:firedevil:

Attachments

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Installed yet??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not yet, one of the U-Plates was the wrong size (top one in pic). I'm waiting for the replacement to arrive. I was hoping it would have arrived by this weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
that stinks! thats one of the most annoying freaking things isnt it? your all hyped up about installing a new goodie for your wrangler, and then either something is missing/broken/or the wrong part.

im curious as to how it handles afterwards afterwards. i have the rear hellwig, but the front might be nice to have as well.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teaser pic. I temporarily used a stock u-plate, and I need to tweak things. I do notice a difference, but once I receive the correct u-plate, and check torque settings; I'll have a better idea. So far, for my needs, it's worth it.

Attachments

Reactions: chode

·
Registered
874 Posts
I have the rear Hellwig and dig it but I'm curious to see how much over stock will make a difference considering my stock front is beefy to begin with.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the rear Hellwig and dig it but I'm curious to see how much over stock will make a difference considering my stock front is beefy to begin with.
The front Hellwig is the same diameter as stock, 1.25 inches. But I believe the overall stiffness is better due to the material used in the Hellwig vs stock.

Also, there are 3 holes in which to bolt the end-links. In my pic, you can see I have it configured for "most aggressive". There is definitely a difference with this setting, and I don't even have everything torqued down to spec and missing one u-plate (mentioned above, currently using a stock one).

From my driving so far, the limiting factor is now the tires. I know I can push it further, but unless I go to something like 20 inch rims with low-profile tires, that won't be happening.

Keep in mind this is the model that does not include the detachable end-links. I don't off-road so I don't need them. The one including the detachable end-links is over $300.

Reactions: chode

·
Registered
874 Posts
I see. I never considered the type of material that is used by Hellwig and the positioning of the bracket holes. I'll probably steer away from this because I do like to "wheel" when I can and have sway bar disconnects. Still interested in your feedback when you get some driving time with it.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I received the correct u-plate, installed and torqued everything to spec.

Having it configured in the most aggressive setting, I feel this is a worthwhile mod. Overall handing is definitely improved. It stays flat in corners, more so than just having the rear installed.

It also seems to compliment the rear. Before there would be times if I hit a bump with both rear tires at once, especially while cornering, and the back end would "skip/slide" a bit. I'm talking very minor here. After adding the front, it feels much better "planted", even hitting bumps. It feels "solid".

I can compare this to my wife's Jeep. Driving hers it feels like it leans a lot, the "back and forth" sway after hitting bumps and not confident in corners.

Bottom line. IMO, the rear Hellwig was an improvement. Adding the front increased the handling and overall feel. I'm glad I have both installed. No, it's not a sports car, but I feel much more confident when I drive aggressively.

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My review of the front sway bar after driving for about a week or so.

The ride is definitely much "stiffer" as if all 4 wheels are on the ground no matter if flat surface or irregular. My wife's Wrangler feels like a Cadillac compared to mine. I love this feel - it just sticks to the road.

I recently took a 25 MPH exit at 50, because someone was riding my ass. Well, it stuck, and stuck good. The Firestone Destination AT's were up for the task, and I felt confident going into that turn. I won't do that again though, I just wanted to test the limits.

Stock Sport S springs, take-off Rubi shocks, and 3/4 inch pucks up front. I'm very happy with how this handles, especially if I need to make last minute adjustments due to bad/destracted drivers.

Obviously, rock crawling is out of the question, unless you get the version with the detachable end-links. :)

IMO, for the money I spent on the front and rear Hellwig's, well worth it for a "street" Wrangler. I can only wonder how adding expensive shocks with proper damping would improve things.

Reactions: isaacimage

·
GOT DOORS?
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the rear and sometimes I like it and sometimes I feel it's too stiff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. But I like having the confidence of the handling. I drove my wife's Wrangler last night and the nanny warnings came on on roads where mine would not. My point is I'm used to driving my Jeep and her's just felt "unstable". She has the Big bear with the Sahara shocks I believe.

·
Registered
35 Posts

The ride is definitely much "stiffer" as if all 4 wheels are on the ground no matter if flat surface or irregular. My wife's Wrangler feels like a Cadillac compared to mine. I love this feel - it just sticks to the road.

I recently took a 25 MPH exit at 50, because someone was riding my ass. Well, it stuck, and stuck good. The Firestone Destination AT's were up for the task, and I felt confident going into that turn. I won't do that again though, I just wanted to test the limits.

Stock Sport S springs, take-off Rubi shocks, and 3/4 inch pucks up front. I'm very happy with how this handles, especially if I need to make last minute adjustments due to bad/destracted drivers.

Obviously, rock crawling is out of the question, unless you get the version with the detachable end-links. :)

IMO, for the money I spent on the front and rear Hellwig's, well worth it for a "street" Wrangler. I can only wonder how adding expensive shocks with proper damping would improve things.
Thank you so much for the review !
Will order both very soon

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed this bar on my 11 Wrangler front only. It improved the handling on the road significantly over the stock Rubicon dis-connectable one. The stock one had a bit of play in it which made it not so great on paved roads. I installed it in the middle hole and it feels great. I drove it from Florida to Maine and the ride stiffness was not an issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Did you get the one with detachable end links for the Rubicon? Just curious, I may go this route at some point.

·
Registered
76 Posts
JDaPP, I bought the standard drop links. I go off roading but don't plan to need to disconnect the sway bars. Time will tell if I should have bought them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
924 Posts

Not even expensive shocks, but the 9000 Rancho's I just put on my Wife's 16 Sahara are unexplainable difference in words over the Rubi Reds.... Such a nice shock, not expensive, and adjustable.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts