Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! Hoping someone on here can help me. I have a 2013 JKUR 6mt with a 430N and I purchased the AIE - Rear Camera Interface Kit.

When the Jeep is in ACC, but not RUN the camera cycles on and off perfectly by shifting into and out of Reverse. When I turn the Jeep to RUN, the camera will engage if it is already in reverse and function fine. If I shift out of reverse, the camera will not reengage. If I turn to RUN in neutral or 1st, the camera will not engage.

The system acknowledges the camera, I get the "check surroundings" warning when the camera functions, so I feel like the piggyback unit is working correctly to enable the 430N to recognize a backup camera.

The camera is hard wired into the 12v rear cigarette lighter, verified by multimeter to not lose constant power at any time during this process.

I've disconnected the battery to no avail and checked every connection 6+ times. I'm confident they're all solid connections.

Please help! What stumps me is that everything works perfectly well in ACC, but not RUN. Is there something i'm missing since this is a manual trans? A thousand thanks if you can help me resolve this.

:beerme::pcwhack:

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
Make sure your parking brake is not set

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply! Parking brake is not set- I've driven it around the block to troubleshoot and it functions the same with e-brake engaged or disengaged. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Maybe tie into the reverse switch for power instead of the cig lighter.

That's what I'm going to do...

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I never bothered to check....

Does the rear power outlet turn off in RUN mode (safety feature)? I know it does on some other vehicles. Maybe jeep is the same?

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Mine is tied into the cig lighter. Radio flashed by dealer and works perfect every time.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Maybe tie into the reverse switch for power instead of the cig lighter.

That's what I'm going to do...
This is exactly what I did on my 2013. Camera comes on when in reverse as expected.
Yep, mine works perfectly... installed in about an hour or so....
This is the way I wired mine as well.
Activated the 430N with Jscan app.
Did not see any reason to have the camera powered all the time the vehicle was running anyway with a factory radio, unless you were using a lockpick.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
This is the way I wired mine as well.
Activated the 430N with Jscan app.
Did not see any reason to have the camera powered all the time the vehicle was running anyway with a factory radio, unless you were using a lockpick.

It shouldn't make a difference though. The cam doesn't know or care where it's getting its power from, just so long as it is getting power when it is needed.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
I am. That is why I asked about the parking brake. I am 90% sure my camera is powered off the backup lights.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Thanks to those of you who replied- are any of you running a manual trans?
No I'm an auto. Did you wire the camera per the manual tranny? There is a different wire that has to be connected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No I'm an auto. Did you wire the camera per the manual tranny? There is a different wire that has to be connected.
My instructions didn't mention anything about wiring differently for a manual- do you happen to know what that wiring variation is?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
My instructions didn't mention anything about wiring differently for a manual- do you happen to know what that wiring variation is?

Thanks!
No, in fact the only reason I knew about it was either a post or a video that vowed while researching.

Sorry.....

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
i’m starting to wonder if the problem is in your adapter harness and not the power supply to the camera itself. what harness did you use to connect up the radio and the camera to the Jeep?

i did nothing special when i hooked up my 430n and backup camera. i also was replacing a 130 radio.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I used an Eway adapter to connect my 430 to the camera wire....

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
i’m starting to wonder if the problem is in your adapter harness and not the power supply to the camera itself.
Yes, I'm thinking that as well.
It seems like it's trying to prevent video when the vehicle would be moving?

Hi all! Hoping someone on here can help me. I have a 2013 JKUR 6mt with a 430N and I purchased the AIE - Rear Camera Interface Kit.
Is this kit like a Lockpick?
Were there dip switches that had to be set?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts