Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime i wash my jeep tj it starts fine but then it goes to a rough idle in the low rpm range but when i floor it past 2k rpms its fine but if u barely tap the peddle it acts really choppy and dies. It almost sounds like a helicopter coming out of the exhaust pipes. What i have replaced recently are tps sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires, and upstream oxygen sensor.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Nice looking ride! Are you washing under the hood also?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i wash my wheel well area which kinda exposes my alternator and distributor due to my 4 inch suspension lift and 1.25 inch jks body lift. Also my jeep has 107k miles on the odometer if that helps anyone ahha.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Cap and roter when they get moisture in them they can cause issues. Mine always drys out. But to speedy the process just take off the cap you should see moisture in the top of it on the inside. Just spray the inside with starting fluid wipe it off let it dry then reinstall. Just stay away from open flame when.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Ok thanks, also it happens when it rains very heavily and only happens on a cold start.
I would say you need to replace your distributor cap and rotor button. Moisture gets in there and affects your contacts that. Could be less than desirable already. It probably only happens on the cold starts because after the engine runs and warms up it provides enough heat to dry the cap out.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Ok thanks so basically just replacing my distributor cap will solve all my problems?
Should, yeah...might as well change the wires at the same time, too.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the wires and spark plugs about a month ago.. Just changed the distributor cap and i guess ill see if that solves the problem next time i wash my jeep or during a heavy rainfalll

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
good deal :)

What tires are you running?? I also like the hood...got a better shot of that? I've been going back and forth with getting some loovers from Poison Spyder (powdercoated black)...i've also got a red tj so thats why i'm curious :)

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Sport King AT's they are made by BFGoodrich but they stopped making them like a couple years ago. And for my hood i just plasti-dipped the raised portion of the hood. Soon i will move over to a more permanent thing for the hood like louvers or a decal type thing

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
All three of our jeeps are cousins! They all look similar lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts