Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing a routine oil change on my 2012, when things went very bad! I unscrewed the oil filter cap and lifted it out, when a spring decided to come with it. Then I heard something fall inside the housing, I found a small piece of plastic and a round metal looking piece. When I went to grab the round piece it fell into a hole at the bottom of the housing and can no longer be seen. Now what can I do? What pieces are missing.

I've done dozens of oil changes on this thing and have never seen this spring before. I'm guessing it came from the post in the center of the oil filter housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In the diagram of the entire housing, the piece fell into Hole #1, which is the inflow from the oil pump into the filter. If I manage to get the piece out, I just wonder what else is missing inside there.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that video. That's exactly what happened, the oil pressure relieve valve popped off after I removed the filter. Now, I just hope I'm able to remove whatever piece fell into the oil inlet pipe. Now I just need to figure out how to replace the entire housing.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Wonder if you can install the 2014 and up redesigned housing and filter on your 2012 jeep. Would be nice to solve this issue once and for all.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was just quoted $220 for the housing, have to replace the whole thing since they don't sell just the valve. I just looked up the procedure replacing the housing, and it's quite extensive, but not too difficult. The first problem I see is that I have to relieve the fuel pressure, which involves starting the engine until it stalls. Can't do that because of the oil filter issue. Anyone know how to do this an alternate way?

I wonder if the dealer will cover this under the engine warranty?

·
Registered
647 Posts
There should be a schrader valve somewhere by the fuel rail, where u hook a fuel pressure gauge. I'd say put a paper towel or rag over it and release the pressure with a small screw driver or whatever u use to let air out of tires

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news is that my Jeep dealer said they will replace the housing under the drivetrain warranty. Bad news is that they are booked for the next month, and I have to get it towed there. Oh well...at least if there are more pieces stuck in the engine, it'll be on them if there is a problem.

Thanks everyone for your help...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would make certain to put a BIG sign on the instrument cluster or taped to the steering wheel that says DO NOT START- NO OIL!
Good idea! Just in case, I think I'll fill up the oil too, just as a little extra protection...

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Is the 2014 and up housing a fix? I have a 2016, and want to be on the lookout if it is still a problem.
2014 and up use a different filter. dont have to worry about it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems to be a pretty common problem that I'm just now hearing about. I found a Dodge Avenger forum with guys that have the 3.6l Pentastar, and have the same exact problem. I can't believe such a critical function of the engine just explodes during an oil change. I can't honestly say, with 99.9% certainty, that I did not do anything wrong or negligent during the filter change...

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Glad to hear they are going to warrant it. Backlog sucks but puts all the liability on them. Assume they are going to use the new design assembly and filter.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
Glad to hear they are going to warrant it. Backlog sucks but puts all the liability on them. Assume they are going to use the new design assembly and filter.
I would like to know what they ultimately replace the housing with.. 2011-13 model or the newer design?

On that youtube video I asked the tech a question if the newer design would fit..

He didn't know but expressed the concern of someone using the wrong filter if the newer housing was installed - primarily since the filter is different for 2011-13 and 2014 and up..

You would need to make sure the correct filter is used..

He also needs to make sure they install the latest engineering update on the housing since they've had problems with leaks. I think its noted in the oil leak thread - the housing is at AC revision.

Something to watch out for...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^Thanks! I'll post an update when I find out which housing is going in.

1 - 20 of 312 Posts