Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

281 - 300 of 312 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
I looked at this video, and I decided that I’m going to switch. Then I started looking for parts and I wasn’t sure if the part I looked up for a 2018 was for a JK, or JL. After that I started looking at other years and it seems like 14 through 16 have the same part, 17 lists a part, and 18 lists two part numbers

14-16 68105583AF
17 68310865B
18-1 68310865AA
18-2 68308741AB

I’m going to guess that the second oils cooler for 18 is what I want, given it is an older and revised number

Frogy
Keep in mind in 2018 Jeep had the JK and the JL platform. It is possible the 18-2 is for the PUG upgrade engine, since the numbers are different. That part might not fit the first generation Pentastar engine. The AB might mean the PUG JL had an oil cooler/filter housing revision too. Don't take my word for it, but I have a feeling I might not be too far off. I would confirm to be sure.

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
I looked at this video, and I decided that I’m going to switch. Then I started looking for parts and I wasn’t sure if the part I looked up for a 2018 was for a JK, or JL. After that I started looking at other years and it seems like 14 through 16 have the same part, 17 lists a part, and 18 lists two part numbers

14-16 68105583AF
17 68310865B
18-1 68310865AA
18-2 68308741AB

I’m going to guess that the second oils cooler for 18 is what I want, given it is an older and revised number

Frogy

According to mymoparparts.com online store (online portion of Dallas Dodge) the 68105583AF is the fitment for the 14-17 Wrangler and 18 Wrangler JK. (It fits almost 60 models and year variations)

The 68310865B is an invalid part number (note one alpha not two) most likely should be 68310865AB which replaced the 68310865AA. but that part is for the 3.6 in the 18 Cherokee, Charger and Grand Caravan.

The 68308741AB is the fitment for the 16-18 Durango and 17-18 Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Keep in mind in 2018 Jeep had the JK and the JL platform. It is possible the 18-2 is for the PUG upgrade engine, since the numbers are different. That part might not fit the first generation Pentastar engine. The AB might mean the PUG JL had an oil cooler/filter housing revision too. Don't take my word for it, but I have a feeling I might not be too far off. I would confirm to be sure.
I understand that the JL and JK are different, but I would surmise that the JK being created first would have the older part number.

·
Registered
134 Posts
According to mymoparparts.com online store (online portion of Dallas Dodge) the 68105583AF is the fitment for the 14-17 Wrangler and 18 Wrangler JK. (It fits almost 60 models and year variations)

The 68310865B is an invalid part number (note one alpha not two) most likely should be 68310865AB which replaced the 68310865AA. but that part is for the 3.6 in the 18 Cherokee, Charger and Grand Caravan.

The 68308741AB is the fitment for the 16-18 Durango and 17-18 Grand Cherokee.
you got me I quoted that part number wrong it should be 68310865AB. All of the part number listings I quoted were from moparpartsoverstock.com. I would think that they and every other part interchange should tie back to the Mopar parts interchange? it is hard to imagine how each of these could be that different? Any of the variants beyond 13 use the same filter?

·
Super Moderator
7,656 Posts
you got me I quoted that part number wrong it should be 68310865AB. All of the part number listings I quoted were from moparpartsoverstock.com. I would think that they and every other part interchange should tie back to the Mopar parts interchange? it is hard to imagine how each of these could be that different? Any of the variants beyond 13 use the same filter?
I hear ya. As I said, don't take my word for it, then said confirm to be sure. They made some changes to the engine with the PUG upgrade, my thoughts were the cooler was on the list. Too bad you can't hold the parts side by side and have a look.

·
Registered
893 Posts
They could be the same across model lines. Mopar often assigns different part numbers to identical parts. The Gen I / Gen II Vipers were cobbled together with stuff from other Dodge vehicles, and we owners kept track of those since the Viper parts were premium-priced. For example, the $75 Viper gas cap was identical to the Ram's at $11. The power window switches came from minivans (and amusingly, they didn't bother powering the LEDs in the Viper application).

·
Registered
205 Posts
thanks for posting this...

I read thru it and afterwards had to go and check and see if my bypass was still installed. luckily it still was there, but ordered a spare Dorman bypass valve to have on hand.

·
RETIRED MODERATOR
47,303 Posts
I have a 2013, with the Mopar Lifetime warranty on it. I prefer the valve possible issue, over replacing the complete housing. There is a Dorman valve repair kit on my self. The likely need to use this kit, is second to none..IMO But if it ever happens, no big deal!

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts

14-16 68105583AF
17 68310865B
18-1 68310865AA
18-2 68308741AB

Frogy
This is newest/latest PN/Rev for the 2014-18 3.6L (pre-PUG)
68310865AB
https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/12015097/68310865AB.html

This is spec'd for 3.6L PUG...
68308741AB,
https://www.moparpartsoverstock.com/p/__/12014942/68308741AB.html

How do I know? Check the assemblies and the vehicles they fit. The 3.6L PUG was installed in the 2016, 2017, 2018 Grand Cherokee.

But again, you should check with your local parts department.

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
https://youtu.be/h8mEWyw0IZE. Motor City Mechanic talks about that here.
Thanks for posting this... I had asked Dave about this when he was testing the Dorman replacement part.

I have a question out to him on the design of the new oil cooler/filter housing. It appears there are other benefits of installing the new design -- perhaps more than what he mentioned in his overview.

There's a major design change how the aluminum oil cooler mounts to the new plastic housing, and the amount of plastic material used to support the oil cooler..

I'm curious if the newer unit has more support to prevent the rear tube from cracking...

A known issue...

·
Premium Member
9,830 Posts
thanks for posting this...

I read thru it and afterwards had to go and check and see if my bypass was still installed. luckily it still was there, but ordered a spare Dorman bypass valve to have on hand.
If you change your own oil, make sure you warm the engine up to operating temperature before opening that cap -- and allowing the spring to apply pressure to the plastic cage.

I've read there may be a correlation to removing the cap when the engine is cold and the plastic stem not being heated to operating temperature.. the theory, cold plastic is more brittle.

I have 55K miles on my 2013... so I'm using every effort to mitigate the stem from exploding into small pieces.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Makes me wonder how many Jiffy Lube oil changes have broken this part, nobody noticed or chose not to say anything and they are driving around issue free not knowing.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,699 Posts
The 3.6 PUG is in the JL/JLU. IIRC the '18 JK/JKU still had the original 3.6. There is also a difference in the quarts of oil, as the PUG takes 1 less. The PUG is also manufactured in Mexico vs the US which is the reason that the JL has a lower US production percentage than the JK did.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Not sure if my take on the situation will help anyone, but I figure I will gladly add my experience and information into the pot so to say...I just (20/jan/2020) upgraded to the revised Oil cooler unit for the 2018 JK.

here are a few pictures of it installed, yes it is possible, yes it does work, and yes I am glad I did it, I also hit the spark plugs and all the gaskets which I am glad I did.

Here is the pictures of the old one vs the new one, me personally I am glad I did this, I was already going to be replacing the Oil Pressure sensor so I figured since I have to take the sensor out I might as well rip the whole thing out...

OLD DESIGN:

NEW DESIGN:

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm going to do this repair to my 2014 next week. I've bought Mopar 68105583AF that was manufactured in 2018. It has the black o-rings on bottom. I think that I read that the orange o-rings were superior because of the extra spacing nubbins on the inside diameter. Is this correct? Would you run the black or get the orange o-rings?

thanks,Rob

281 - 300 of 312 Posts