Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

301 - 312 of 312 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I'm going to do this repair to my 2014 next week. I've bought Mopar 68105583AF that was manufactured in 2018. It has the black o-rings on bottom. I think that I read that the orange o-rings were superior because of the extra spacing nubbins on the inside diameter. Is this correct? Would you run the black or get the orange o-rings?

thanks,Rob
Mine has the black o-rings on the bottom, as for black vs orange I am not sure of the differences and did not notice any thing different (it seals against the block directly). an o-ring is an o-ring.

I will be doing my 2013 shortly. When doing this can the coolant be changed out to a less costly brand?
for coolant brand, it won't matter, the only thing that matters is DO NOT mix HOAT and OAT coolants (they will gel up and cause more issues), I am currently using standard green 50/50 etho glycerol, yes I will have to change it slightly more often but I can deal with that if it means less B$ then if I were to use the OAT/HOAT stuff.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts
Mine has the black o-rings on the bottom, as for black vs orange I am not sure of the differences and did not notice any thing different (it seals against the block directly). an o-ring is an o-ring.

for coolant brand, it won't matter, the only thing that matters is DO NOT mix HOAT and OAT coolants (they will gel up and cause more issues), I am currently using standard green 50/50 etho glycerol, yes I will have to change it slightly more often but I can deal with that if it means less B$ then if I were to use the OAT/HOAT stuff.
actually that is not true. I am sure the OEM are Viton o-rings are superior to most I am sure or at least would hope that is what the OEMs are made of. I learned a lot about O-rings in my harley hi-po days.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
actually that is not true. I am sure the OEM are Viton o-rings are superior to most I am sure or at least would hope that is what the OEMs are made of. I learned a lot about O-rings in my harley hi-po days.
I mean it in the sense of the black vs orange, they really aren't different as far as how they sit, as far as what they are made out of, couldn't tell ya

·
Registered
133 Posts
I mean it in the sense of the black vs orange, they really aren't different as far as how they sit, as far as what they are made out of, couldn't tell ya

But they do appear to be different. The orange have 6 nubbins on the inside diameter versus 3 on the black. All this appears to do is keep the o-ring more round on the block side. On rubber color can be an indication of durometer. I have no idea if this true in this case. I think I read somewhere that the orange were superior. I ordered orange so I'll be able to compare. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
cool, good to know, I have the black ones and didn't see nubbins on them but I also wasn't aware thier was any differences so I just installed it and left it as is

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Looks like I have the dreaded oil cool oil leak. Saw some oil on the driveway and checked the bottom of the jeep. Covered in oil from engine back. Then checked the engine valley and as far as I could tell there was oil in there. Looks like a wrenching party is in my future.

·
Super Moderator
22,449 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
My 2013 popped it's bypass valve at some point. Just noticed it's missing with 95k on the odo. Amazon and Rock Auto both have the Dorman 917-992 Engine Oil Filter Bypass Valve for $15 bucks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was just quoted $220 for the housing, have to replace the whole thing since they don't sell just the valve. I just looked up the procedure replacing the housing, and it's quite extensive, but not too difficult. The first problem I see is that I have to relieve the fuel pressure, which involves starting the engine until it stalls. Can't do that because of the oil filter issue. Anyone know how to do this an alternate way?

I wonder if the dealer will cover this under the engine warranty?
Done the entire oil filter assembly housing, you can by pass the fuel pressure, I did and it is fine. It is Not a must to do.

301 - 312 of 312 Posts