Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am installing AEV read bumper and need to remove the tow package on the left side to install the bumper, there is however a problem 2 of the bolts are either soldered or you need super human strength to remove them. Seems i'll lift the jeep before removing these.

I added a picture so you can understand what I am trying to do.

Any ideas how to remove them? Tried some w40/ wrench grease to help untighten them, tried hammer and pliers and all the tricks I know. Will I need to cut them?

Any one ever dealt with this? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
898 Posts
The correct size socket and an impact gun or a breaker bar should do the trick. Using pliers may mean you are going to need to cut them off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The correct size socket and an impact gun or a breaker bar should do the trick. Using pliers may mean you are going to need to cut them off.
Tried wit the correct size socket, however they will not bulge, was closer to lifting the car than making these guys move a mm.

Haven't tried with the impact gun however.

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
That is not the "tow package". That is your tow hook. You had access to an impact gun and still asked how to get it off?

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
+1 for not being part of the tow package. I don't know why it would be such a problem. We had to take ours off for our rear bumper and it just took a ratchet and socket. ????? Strange.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
That is not the "tow package". That is your tow hook. You had access to an impact gun and still asked how to get it off?
+1, why would you use pliers on a bolt or nut? Use a breaker bar (about $15) if you don't have an impact. Also, 6pt sockets are less likely to round. Last resort, a 1/2" ratchet with a peice of pipe on the end. (you can break the ratchet that way)

·
Registered
428 Posts
Welcome the class of 2013!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Didn't at the time but called a friend who had one. Only way that hook was getting off there... will know next time!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts