Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in buying a 2012 JK Rubicon.
I don't need a Jeep, don't need a Rubicon, will likely not use the capabilities 99% of the time.

I just like it, want to have one. I live in Chicago, not many boulders to crawl in the area, no hills to speak of, not even many gravel roads.
That said - I still want one.

I test drove a automatic non-Ruby today. My wife who initially dismissed the whole idea as impractical, got out of the Wrangler with a big smile.
The salesman was horrible, basically pushed us out of the showroom when we asked for explanations of various options. Apparently because we didn't want to buy a version without our specific choices, and because we wanted to test drive the manual trans Rubicon before buying, He didn't want to waste his time with us. They did not have a single manual trans Wrangler to drive, so we test drove an automatic.

questions for you all

1. color - is white really bad, I like the color, worry about glare off the hood.

2. transmission - I prefer manual, I've driven manuals for years - I have no problem with them. if I actually use the car for off-road is there any advantage/disadvantage to auto vs manual , is manual significantly harder to manage when slowly climbing uphill or down ?

3. You used to be able to hose down the interior, can you still do this or is this an added option or upgrade.

4. the salesman didn't explain anything, didn't even have a brochure. is the car in 4WD all the time or do you need to switch it on when needed ( I do realize you need to switch to 4 lo when needed) ?

5. DVD nav - I'm basically just a radio person - I'm never going to use nav or play movies, does the DVD/Nav package add anything that I would use - like the speakers I saw above and behind my head

6. connectivity kit - I have an iphone,will it charge it, play my music and work with a mic/speakers for the phone ?

7. hard top - how well does it seal ? are there air drafts - particularly in back were the rear window meets the rear door ?

8. How well does it do in the snow ?

9. if you had to choose an aftermarket upgrade or 2, what would they be ?

10. tow package - I don't anticipate towing anything - it doesn't cost much, is it worth getting for the future ? can it be added later ?

11. spare tire - I live in the city - worry that spare tire won't last a week before being stolen - any experience or remedies ?

Anything else you all can think of to help me - please jump in.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
First off, before I even read past "Chicago" in your post, if you're really gonna buy a Wrangler, you should contact [email protected] here on the forum.

I can pretty much guarantee you an uplifting Jeep-buying experience. Don't take my word for it. Ask anybody on this forum.

Okay, back to reading your post...

·
Registered
98 Posts
First off, before I even read past "Chicago" in your post, if you're really gonna buy a Wrangler, you should contact [email protected] here on the forum.

I can pretty much guarantee you an uplifting Jeep-buying experience. Don't take my word for it. Ask anybody on this forum.

Okay, back to reading your post...
x2

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I know, I know-

Answer to question

No. one--YES

Thats all I got time for-

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I'm interested in buying a 2012 JK Rubicon.
I don't need a Jeep, don't need a Rubicon, will likely not use the capabilities 99% of the time.

I just like it, want to have one. I live in Chicago, not many boulders to crawl in the area, no hills to speak of, not even many gravel roads.
That said - I still want one.

I test drove a automatic non-Ruby today. My wife who initially dismissed the whole idea as impractical, got out of the Wrangler with a big smile.
The salesman was horrible, basically pushed us out of the showroom when we asked for explanations of various options. Apparently because we didn't want to buy a version without our specific choices, and because we wanted to test drive the manual trans Rubicon before buying, He didn't want to waste his time with us. They did not have a single manual trans Wrangler to drive, so we test drove an automatic.

PM [email protected], in case you missed it in my post above. Best decision you'll make short of buying the Jeep.

questions for you all

1. color - is white really bad, I like the color, worry about glare off the hood.

Glare? Lotsa peeps have white Jeeps. Man, we're rhymin! :dance: Nothing wrong with white, unless you like black.

2. transmission - I prefer manual, I've driven manuals for years - I have no problem with them. if I actually use the car for off-road is there any advantage/disadvantage to auto vs manual , is manual significantly harder to manage when slowly climbing uphill or down ?

Nope. Auto would be better for serious rock crawling, hardcore off-roading, etc. The '12's have a Hill Assist feature, so you're not gonna go rolling backwards, even on Chicago's most precipitous inclines. I've got a manual, and wouldn't wanna drive anything else.

3. You used to be able to hose down the interior, can you still do this or is this an added option or upgrade.

Drain plugs in the floor. Carpet comes out. Some peeps rip it all out for good and bedline their rigs. Hosing still works.

4. the salesman didn't explain anything, didn't even have a brochure. is the car in 4WD all the time or do you need to switch it on when needed ( I do realize you need to switch to 4 lo when needed) ?

There's a separate transfer case shifter. Little shifter to the left of the big one. You got 4H, neutral, 4L. Shift into it when needed.

5. DVD nav - I'm basically just a radio person - I'm never going to use nav or play movies, does the DVD/Nav package add anything that I would use - like the speakers I saw above and behind my head

You get better speakers with the 430N and 730N, buncha other stuff, but if you're just a radio guy you might just go with the standard 130 (I think it's called). Not like the higher end ones are gonna blow your doors off anyway, though I do like the HDD (hard drive...stores my entire i-tunes library) on my 430N.

6. connectivity kit - I have an iphone,will it charge it, play my music and work with a mic/speakers for the phone ?

Yup, via Uconnect. Works great in mine.

7. hard top - how well does it seal ? are there air drafts - particularly in back were the rear window meets the rear door ?

Not unless you take the top off and screw up putting it back on. There are people who've had leak issues, but they tend to be in minority, though they drown out those of us who have no leaks on places like Jeep forums. How many people post out of happiness, as opposed to the opposite?

8. How well does it do in the snow ?

Depends on your tires and driving skill. The stock tires are not all that great in the snow, though I survived 8 years in Wisconsin with a bone stock Liberty.

9. if you had to choose an aftermarket upgrade or 2, what would they be ?

New headlights. A must. The stockers absolutely suck. And better tires for snow.

10. tow package - I don't anticipate towing anything - it doesn't cost much, is it worth getting for the future ? can it be added later ?

Not sure about that one...

11. spare tire - I live in the city - worry that spare tire won't last a week before being stolen - any experience or remedies ?

Many dealerships will throw in some locking lugs (make sure they include the key in your glove box) to prevent some a** from jacking your spare.

Anything else you all can think of to help me - please jump in.

Thanks
Talk to Pat.

Enjoy! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I haven't even had a full conversation with Pat and I can already tell it's gonna be a good Jeep buying experience. :)
Put it this way...I'm in Wisconsin, three hours from Chicago. If I'd known who Pat was before I'd already negotiated the price on my Jeep and had Chrysler start building it, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy from Fields Jeep.

I don't regret anything; on the contrary, between USAA and the Tread Lightly deal, I did about as well as you can do. Still...

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with most of what KBB told you. Although I by far prefer a manual to auto offroading (and in general), even on hardcore trails such as the Hammers or the Rubicon. A manual offers far more control and a better crawl ratio than an auto. I have no desire for an automatic in that terrain.

Typically, I would say the low cost of the tow package makes it worthwhile. You get the trailer wiring and rear hitch, which makes for better resale, more flexibility with what you can do with your Jeep, and a sturdier rear tow point than the hook. I think they all include Trailer Sway Control now, though.

--Sean

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
I agree with most of what KBB told you. Although I by far prefer a manual to auto ofroading (and in general), even on hardcore trails such as the Hammers or the Rubicon. A manual offers far more control and a better crawl ratio than an auto. I have no desire for an automatic in that terrain.

Typically I would say the low cost of the tow package makes it worthwhile. You get the trailer wiring and rear hitch, which makes for better resale, more flexibility with what you can do with your Jeep, and a sturdier rear tow point than the hook. I think they all include Trailer Sway Control now, though.

--Sean
Good point. Actually, I was gonna recommend it based on the lower gear ratio alone, such as max tow package with other style of Jeeps, but he was looking at a Rubi, so there wasn't a need to make the argument.

You are correct, though. Might as well get it, if only for resale value. :thumb:

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Don't forget sean, my crawl ratio/w auto is 61/1 !

I agree with most of what KBB told you. Although I by far prefer a manual to auto offroading (and in general), even on hardcore trails such as the Hammers or the Rubicon. A manual offers far more control and a better crawl ratio than an auto. I have no desire for an automatic in that terrain.

Typically, I would say the low cost of the tow package makes it worthwhile. You get the trailer wiring and rear hitch, which makes for better resale, more flexibility with what you can do with your Jeep, and a sturdier rear tow point than the hook. I think they all include Trailer Sway Control now, though.

--Sean

·
Registered
79 Posts
You get better speakers with the 430N and 730N, buncha other stuff, :thumb:
Are you sure about this? As far as I know all the Rubicons/Saharas come with the Infinity Premium Sound system (which has the overhead sound bar speakers and subwoofer at the back) even with RES130. Its optional for Sport models though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
kbwwolf said:
Put it this way...I'm in Wisconsin, three hours from Chicago. If I'd known who Pat was before I'd already negotiated the price on my Jeep and had Chrysler start building it, I wouldn't have hesitated to buy from Fields Jeep.

I don't regret anything; on the contrary, between USAA and the Tread Lightly deal, I did about as well as you can do. Still...
Haha yup. Either way, at the end of the day the only thing that matters, is that your in a jeep.

·
Registered
364 Posts
:whistling: Don't forget sean, my crawl ratio/w auto is 61/1 !

Fair enough, but a MANual with the same gears and t-case would be even better. :dance:

--Sean

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Are you sure about this? As far as I know all the Rubicons/Saharas come with the Infinity Premium Sound system (which has the overhead sound bar speakers and subwoofer at the back) even with RES130. Its optional for Sport models though.
Ah, that's cool. I thought it was optional on all models. Even better then, as far as the OP's concerned.

I do know, however, that when I bought my Sahara there were significant sound upgrades between the RES130 and the 430N, which I ended up getting.

Better to undersell anyway, IMO.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Better in this case = have a lower crawl ratio.

--Sean

·
Registered
364 Posts
As far as I know all the Rubicons/Saharas come with the Infinity Premium Sound system (which has the overhead sound bar speakers and subwoofer at the back) even with RES130. Its optional for Sport models though.
Correct!

--Sean

·
Registered
364 Posts
Even if it's not a Rubicon, you can get close. My Sahara with the 2.72:1 case, 4.88 gears, and a stick is 59:1. This is the same as stock '12 Rubi auto.

--Sean

1 - 20 of 35 Posts