Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I want to thank everyone for posting the incredibly valuable information in the forums over the years! I have been reading through the posts, looking through the member galleries, and I have truly enjoyed learning from you.

My dad passed away from cancer last year and I remember the times we spent together working on trucks/cars, the pride he took in making vehicles unique to him, and how much I enjoyed that time with him. With that said, I am looking to get back into a 4WD recreational vehicle to carry on those memories and am really interested in getting a ~'12/'13 4 door JK automatic under 50k miles but wanted to get your thoughts as experienced owners.

The reason I selected those years is from what I've been reading on here regarding the potential upgrade Chrysler did by adding the pentastar engine, fixing some of the previous model year issues, and the overall reliability of the components. Am I completely off base on my thoughts? should I be considering 07-09 models? From what I've read, it seems that most of the issues get ironed out/revealed during the first ~36k miles of ownership and if nothing has happened after that, typically they end up being fairly sound/reliable rigs.

Any help/advice/guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated!

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We all have our reasons for jeeping and yours is a great one too. The new 3.6 is a joy to drive. Having owned both a pre pentastar 3.8 JK and now the new one, I don't miss the old. If you go with a pre 3.6, 2010 would be the best but if you want the 3.6, no reason to go any earlier that 2012. A good bit of the first running 3.6s had head issues and caused a lot of headaches for first adapters.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

If all possible go with a 3.6. It is a completely driving experience particularly if you plan to add lift and larger tires. If this is the case, try to find one with 4.10 gears or at least 3.73s. Changing gears ratios is expensive an a PIA. As noted some of the early 2012 Pentastars had head problems. The heads have serial numbers and the ones with problems are posted on several threads so if you find a 2012 you like make sure the heads have either been replaced (I believe Chrysler provided an longer term warranty on those) or a late 2012. Safer bet is 2013.

Don't be surprised if those Jeeps are only a few thousand cheaper than a new one. JK's hold their price well. The difference between a base Sport and a Sahara tends to diminish over time so you might be able to get a loaded Sahara for not too much more than a Sport. The Rubicons hold their value even more because they do have a few significant mechanical differences.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Your description sounds more like you might be looking for a weekender or project/hobby vehicle.

If that is the case you might want to head over to the TJ, YJ, CJ forums and look around a bit before you pull the trigger. You might fall in love with a simpler vehicle and get WAY more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks everyone! that information you shared on the heads was perfect. From what I've read, it looks like heads stamped with an"AC" were the heads they fixed, anything with an "AA" or "AB" had the defect. So if I went with a mid-year manufactured 13, it may have the AC heads? it also seems to only affect Jeeps in hotter climates, is this true? From what I've read, Chrysler gave the 12 a 150k warranty just in case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts