Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Has anyone had this experience: my airbag light is constant-on but it's not the clockspring or fuses. I've checked the ground connection, fuses, replaced the clockspring (checked its connections first), and checked the passenger airbag switch.

The Auto Zone scanner - and Chrysler's self-scan capability - will only scan the OBD II system, not the part that controls the airbags.

Next step may be paying someone to scan it but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Thanks,

Randy
2001 TJ
4.0 liter

·
Registered
191 Posts
My light was on and I found it was the ignition switch not returning all the way to its "drive" position after starting. This was on a 2.5L. I lubed the switch and the problem rarely comes back. If it does I just nudge the switch ever so slightly back (while its running) and the light goes out. Probably a long shot suggestion but easier than what you've tried so far. Good luck, I know how frustrating this can be.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried various positions with the key and could not duplicate your problem/solution. This is the type of solution that I'm looking for; someone's personal experience.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
My ignition switch was bad and like KCrisp said, the light would stay on. Other symptoms of a bad switch are intermittent radio, wiper, and turn signals working.

I'm pretty sure the light has nothing to do with the airbag itself not functioning properly (but I could be wrong). It seems I've seen the "light on" problem here quite a bit. Good luck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you try pulling back on the key a little when it is running to test this, remember that there is a time delay for the light to go off. You have to wait for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: I took the Jeep to the dealer and had them scan using the DRB tool. The fault is the passenger airbag switch indicator light. The cost for the part is 48.00 dollars but I un-soldered the bulb from the circuit board and, if I can find one, will fix it for pennies instead.
I hope this information proves usefull to someone else who has a similar problem.
Randy

Reactions: ActorMike

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: Radio Shack had a bulb that matched the specs, $1.58. Had I been able to figure out the passenger side airbag switch indicator light was the issue I could have solved the problem for $1.58.

It's soldered onto the circuit board of the switch, works fine, and the airbag light problem is solved.

Randy

·
Registered
14 Posts
Randy,

Good On you man. I had a squeak in my jeep, while I was trying to locate it, I was banging on the center council near the airbag switch. Then the ABS light came on. I obviously knocked the bulb loose.

Thanks for the info.

John

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I think this might be the problem with my airbag light. Do you mean there is supposed to be a light on the actual passenger airbag switch? I've never soldered before is it something that is difficult to do?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Can someone tell me if there is a light on the passenger airbag on/off switch?

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I wonder if I can just get a new switch, and not have to deal with installing a new bulb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update: Radio Shack had a bulb that matched the specs, $1.58. Had I been able to figure out the passenger side airbag switch indicator light was the issue I could have solved the problem for $1.58.

It's soldered onto the circuit board of the switch, works fine, and the airbag light problem is solved.

Randy
Never mind

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
The bulb on the airbag switch should only be on when the switch is turned to the 'off' position. My bulb does not ever turn on, so if it is burned out, that would make the check airbag light go on in the cluster, and stay consistently on.

I think you might be confused because there is an indicator light on the switch, and the warning light on the cluster.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bulb on the airbag switch should only be on when the switch is turned to the 'off' position. My bulb does not ever turn on, so if it is burned out, that would make the check airbag light go on in the cluster, and stay consistently on.

I think you might be confused because there is an indicator light on the switch, and the warning light on the cluster.
You are exactly right. I was thinking of the dash light. My swith light does not come on when I turn it off. I will try your solution (not an expert solderer). if I can't pull that off I'll just fork out for the new switch. Thank you VERY much. Keep the rubber side down! :D

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Let me know how it works out. I've never soldered before but if it works and isn't too hard, I want to do it too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My passenger light would blink going down the road so I turned it off. About a month later the airbag light lit on the dash and won't go off. So long as the bags don't go off with out a crash I am not going to worry about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SRS light on

Light was constantly on on my 02 tj, had scanned came up open curcuit to grd. on pass. airbag switch. I took it apart found small bulb burnt out. Found one at radio shack $1.49 had to solder it in. Fixed the problem, fairly simple if your handy and can solder. Before repaired, srs came on during start up, went out for second and came on constantly. Everything else horn,gauges ect. worked fine. Dealer will sell complete switch for $50 or more. Just make sure you use 12v bulb & low wattage. It lites up words next to keyhole in switch, so if thats out might be problem.Good Luck! P.S. Looking for a hard top in S.D. area prefer black. lemme know. good price please? Thanks

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
I just soldered my lightbulb and it worked!! $4 soldering iron and $1.50 bulb sure beats a whole new switch for $50!!

Whoever got this idea, Thank you!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts