Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, 2017 wrangler unlimited sport, so I bought this rearview mirror LCD backup camera set up. The camera has a video output which goes directly to the rearview mirror, which gets constant power from the cigarette lighter (I can manually choose to see its output, but i want it to be automatic upon reverse shift), along with a red and black wire coming from the camera which I am supposed to splice into the reverse light wiring.

I researched online and was confident that the WHITE with GREY stripe wire was the reverse light, so I connected the red (positive) wire from the camera to it. I then connected the black (ground) wire to the black wire, which I assume is ground, but this could be where I messed up since I wasn't totally sure -- see pic below.

It does not work, lol. Can anyone please point me how to make it work?
I speculate that perhaps I need to splice the wire DIRECTLY within the tail light, coming from the reverse light, as opposed to doing the splice after the harness connection (does this make sense?). Any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
i just removed my tail light cover.. near the bulb are 3 wires... one is a ground... one is hot when you put it in reverse. the other is hot when you turn on the headlights. I wired my reverse camera into the headlight activated wire, that way i can use the camera anytime just by turning on the headlights, those wire splice things stink,, just cut the wires, splice properly .

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
@tumibe, you should be able to tap into the wires you pictured. It sound to me like you haven't made proper tap connections. I suggest getting a voltmeter to verify your positive and ground, then make sure your taps are crimped properly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@tumibe, you should be able to tap into the wires you pictured. It sound to me like you haven't made proper tap connections. I suggest getting a voltmeter to verify your positive and ground, then make sure your taps are crimped properly.
Borrowed my buddies voltmeter and you were right! I spliced the right wires, but they weren't making proper connection with the wires. Problem solved <3 Thank you ily

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
I want to add that those taps are horrible! Have found problems with these things for many years. It is much better to cut the wire you are looking to tap into, add a piece of adhesive lined heat shrink on the wire, then use a butt crimp connector to bring in your new wire.

Added protip, buy a double crimp tool rather than use one of the cheap single crimp and strippers commonly available. The single crimp multi use tools do a very bad job at everything.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I personally like soldering instead of taps. It's easy to do, cheap (solder iron) at Harbor Freight, and a more solid connections.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I know these were old posts but I would like to second the "splice taps are horrible". I could not figure out why my backup camera wasn't working. No power.

I removed the "quick splice" connectors, stripped the wires, added bullet style connectors to the wire (allows me to change the camera easily in the future) and ta dah the backup camera lit up on the screen. Problem solved. I'll never use those quick splice connectors again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts