Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i rebuilt the carb the other day and put on a new valve cover gasket and i keep having problems with getting my jeep to run. its a 88 jeep sahara. so i adjusted the carb it started up and ran fine, better than ever actually. but wen i test drove it, it kept dieing wen i let off the gas. more adjusting and it sounded like it was running rough so i kept adjusting it till it sounded normal, but it almost sounds like it is skipping faintly. so i figure its a vacuum line problem or maybe o2 sensor. i check out the o2 and its not even plugged in! so i hook it up and go out with a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum lines (which I'm sure are worse than f***ed up) it starts right up and doesn't die idling smoothly i check the gauge it says 16in vacuum hg or sumtin like that (needle is steady) but now its putting out blue smoke! for the first time ever! so i turn it off go to start it later and it just cranks....i replaced the fuel filter and that didn't do any good... so now I'm stumped i cant get it to start and i cant figure out what the problem(s) is! can anyone offer some insight here??? i greatly appreciate the help!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
so i rebuilt the carb the other day and put on a new valve cover gasket and i keep having problems with getting my jeep to run. its a 88 jeep sahara. so i adjusted the carb it started up and ran fine, better than ever actually. but wen i test drove it, it kept dieing wen i let off the gas. more adjusting and it sounded like it was running rough so i kept adjusting it till it sounded normal, but it almost sounds like it is skipping faintly. so i figure its a vacuum line problem or maybe o2 sensor. i check out the o2 and its not even plugged in! so i hook it up and go out with a vacuum gauge to check the vacuum lines (which I'm sure are worse than f***ed up) it starts right up and doesn't die idling smoothly i check the gauge it says 16in vacuum hg or sumtin like that (needle is steady) but now its putting out blue smoke! for the first time ever! so i turn it off go to start it later and it just cranks....i replaced the fuel filter and that didn't do any good... so now I'm stumped i cant get it to start and i cant figure out what the problem(s) is! can anyone offer some insight here??? i greatly appreciate the help!
How old is the gas?

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
shot in the dark. did you try starting it without the sensor plugged in?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay updated story is i got it running but really rough and it stall once the gas is let off....is tht a cause of vacuum or idle control?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts