Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start I have spent about 2 hours searching and reading but can't find the post where I read this before so here I go. :hide:
I am still waiting for my 2013 JKUR. However I wanted to order my lift wheels & tires before so I could install ASAP. I am looking at the Teraflex 2.5" Suspension Lift. I will get 16x9 ATX Artillery wheels with 315/75R16 M/T Claws TTC. I plan on getting Rampage front recovery bumper with winch and synthetic rope, Ace rear bumper tire carrier, and Ace sliders. Now the questions: I thought I had read to get the Bilstein 5100 shocks for this kit. Would the correct one be the 5100 for 2" lift for rear and 5100 for 1.5-3" lift for the fronts? Would I also need the 5100 steering stabilizer? The wheels have a 4.53 back spacing , it is recommended at least 4.5 back spacing would you think I would be ok? Anything else. DD & moderate trail riding.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
You'll be okay on the backspacing, though you'd be better off with 8" wide wheels, rather than the 9", IMO.

And you don't need the Bilstein SS. Your stock one is fine. If you do decide to buy the Bilstein version, be aware that their gas-charged SS has a history of causing Jeeps to pull to the left.

Not sure which shocks you need, specifically...

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Almost forgot...You might want to buy an AEV Procal to calibrate your speedometer for the new tires, lower the threshold on the TPMS (if you keep em), and various other things. Also, if you plan on wheeling with sway bars disconnected, you'll want a TF exhaust spacer.

Dave at Northridge 4x4 sells all that stuff, plus the TF 2.5" lift with Bilstein shocks (whatever size the shocks are...Dave knows), in one package. Pretty sure it's under $1K. Might be good to give him a call (see their site in the Vendor section @ top left of any WF page.)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Only one thought: I really wish I had driven my Jeep stock for awhile. If you start modifying immediately you won't have a baseline with which to compare. With all those mods and weight and new rubber your Jeep won't drive anything like it did stock. Find myself going "did it do that before"- and since I put the lift on a month after I bought....Can't exactly ask the dealer to fix something under warranty when it might be from the mods.....
If you're doing all this yourself- the stabilizer is not too bad to replace after the fact.
I thought I read that the Billsteins shocks were a bit rough- but its been awhile since I was looking at the thread. (Probably in the "lift review" thread.)
Call Eric at Morris for your Rampage bumper- he's very helpful. They'll give you 10% off as a forum member. Just bought mine and they had the best price.
X2 on the Procal.
X2 on the exhaust spacer- doesn't come with that kit but its inexpensive.
Just ignore this and read KBs thread. : )

·
Registered
183 Posts
I ordered the same lift, shocks(those are the correct ones), exhaust spacer AND the AEV procal all through Dave at northridge for under 1k. Shoot them a PM or give them a call. However, kb did all the hard work helping me out schooling me deciding on the lift and shocks though :rofl:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the good advice. I will probably go with Morris since I live in So Fl and can pick up the items to save on shipping. What other shocks would you guys recommend for this set up. Also I really liked those wheels and could not find them in 16x8.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, if you plan on wheeling with sway bars disconnected, you'll want a TF exhaust spacer.
Are the spacers needed on the Unlimited. I thought I read somewhere that it is not an issue on the 4dr models. :confused:

But then again I've read soooo many things in the last couple of months that I could be confused..:confused::confused::confused::facepalm:

Also, waiting for the Procal update for the 2013 they say it shouldn't take long. Would hate to have to ship it back for a reflash and wait 2 more weeks.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Are the spacers needed on the Unlimited. I thought I read somewhere that it is not an issue on the 4dr models. :confused:

But then again I've read soooo many things in the last couple of months that I could be confused..:confused::confused::confused::facepalm:

Also, waiting for the Procal update for the 2013 they say it shouldn't take long. Would hate to have to ship it back for a reflash and wait 2 more weeks.

Thanks!
As far as I know, you need the spacer for any '12 and newer JK if you install shocks over 25", which is pretty much any aftermarket shocks. I run the Bilstein 5100s on my '12, and once I installed my lift I had contact between my exhaust crossover and my STOCK ds – at full droop.

The full droop part is key. It's the extra downward travel of the new shocks that causes the problem...I think a lot of peeps just look underneath the Jeep once the new lift is on and go, "Ah, couple inches. No problem!" And it won't be a problem, unless you disco your sway bars and max out your suspension.

This is how much clearance I had – again, at full droop – after installing a 1310 JE Reel front ds:

View attachment 168648

I've seen several threads where peeps pooh-poohed the need for the exhaust spacer on 2.5" lifts, but in my mind it's like this: Would you rather be out $50 for the cost of the spacer, or have a potentially very expensive learning experience on a trail 10 miles from the nearest paved road?

Kind've a no-brainer, IMO.

EDIT: My '12's a JKU...

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I've seen several threads where peeps pooh-poohed the need for the exhaust spacer on 2.5" lifts, but in my mind it's like this: Would you rather be out $50 for the cost of the spacer, or have a potentially very expensive learning experience on a trail 10 miles from the nearest paved road?

Kind've a no-brainer, IMO.

X2. Well worth it.
Interestingly- the exhuast is different on a 2 door vs. 4- the cross pipe and length are different. One of the big exhaust companies is here- called them a couple of months ago and they had just figured out their new exhaust kit won't work on a 2 door.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to all and I agree $50 is cheap insurance.

hey u bear , the procal is 2013 ready , got mine already, been over 2 weeks.all updates and ready to go.
Great to hear that, just have to make sure Morris has the new ones not old stock when I buy it.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Interestingly- the exhuast is different on a 2 door vs. 4- the cross pipe and length are different. One of the big exhaust companies is here- called them a couple of months ago and they had just figured out their new exhaust kit won't work on a 2 door.
Awesome. :thumb:

Gonna rant for a minute, JH, and you are in no way a target:

JH's post brings up an invaluable point: I could be wrong about needing something – spacer, ds, or different exhaust pipe – on all '12+ Jeeps.

I know I'm right about the '12 JKU, because that's what I own, and I installed the lift and ds myself (got help on the ds), and saw the potential for disaster with my own eyes.

But I don't own a 2-door '12, or a '13 in any form.

Maybe that's why there seems to be a discrepancy among folks who say it's needed, and those who say it's not.

One thing I can say – if I had any doubt at all, regardless of what I read on any Jeep forum, no matter how many times I read it – I'd find as definitive an answer as possible before I committed to the mod in question. That's just how I roll.

For me, that means calling the product mfr; calling the lift mfr; calling anyone and everyone who might possibly have knowledge that could help me build my Jeep the way I want it built.

Talking directly to humans.

Not e-mailing them, and getting a wrote answer from a secretary (no offense, secretary peeps...y'all rock) or some company flunkie (my apologies, flunkies, you are microcosms of all of us).

Not starting a thread and accepting what's posted.

Ask. Pursue. Dig. Be relentless. A mistake will cost you $$.

IDK. Works for me. Not a single issue with my Jeep to date. Period. :)

(Watch...it'll throw a rod tomorrow.)

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Just makin' sure you get I wasn't disagreeing:
X2. Well worth it.. Either way you can't lose for $50.
Don't throw a rod at me KB. I think yours is bigger than mine.

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I just did some research. There is no difference in the cross pipe/Y pipe between 2DR or 4DR.
Same part number. The straight pipe/resonator combo is different between the two because of the longer wheelbase on the Unlimited.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Interesting.
We've done test fits for this exhuast company before on a different vehicle. They sell a kit for the 4 door that moves the crosspipe away from the front driveshaft. Spoke to the product manager and the tech that designed the system. They couldn't just shorten the pipe to fit the 2 door- they were hitting something else on install. Otherwise they'd sell me a kit. I did not get further detail- they were going to call me to bring in my 2 door to test. I'll see them at SEMA this month and will inquire. I have a feeling they'll have worked it out by then.

·
Premium Member
12,478 Posts
Just makin' sure you get I wasn't disagreeing:
X2. Well worth it.. Either way you can't lose for $50.
Don't throw a rod at me KB. I think yours is bigger than mine.
I know exactly what you said.

You rock. You do your homework. I've read your posts, and rarely comment on them cuz there's no need. You know whereof you speak. It's impressive, and I don't wanna interfere with good advice, except to make the occasional retarded interjection that kind've exemplifies my WF persona.

I'll throw no rods at you, girl.

I just did some research. There is no difference in the cross pipe/Y pipe between 2DR or 4DR.
Same part number. The straight pipe/resonator combo is different between the two because of the longer wheelbase on the Unlimited.
That's what I'm talkin about. Just...that.

BUT: notice how what you said is a direct contradiction of JH's info? How to resolve that difference? Dig.

Can't stress how crucial that is.

I'm not crappin on you.

Dig, then share.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts