Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i installed a new camshaft pully on my 2003 wrangler, when i put the old bolt and washer on the new damper it will not stay locked into the threads and bolt loosens about 10 sec. into start up. i had someone tell me to use lock-tite to cement it in there, i just want to know different ideas other then that. inspecting the old bolt and washer they seem fine. can looks be deceiving? i also torqued the bolt to 80 lbs

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
I just helped a friend re-assemble a 2.5L boxer motor out of a subaru this past weekend. We lock-tited the bolts for the camshaft pullys, no problems so far. We were using the blue lock-tite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just helped a friend re-assemble a 2.5L boxer motor out of a subaru this past weekend. We lock-tited the bolts for the camshaft pullys, no problems so far. We were using the blue lock-tite.
thanks bro seems like i am leaning that way

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Camshaft? I think you mean crankshaft?

Isn't there a slot on both the crank and in the damper hub - a keyway for a Woodruff Key?

When you pulled it off it may have dropped down onto the crossmember or the floor.

The key keeps the damper from turning on the shaft, the bolt simply holds it all together.

Yes, a touch of Blue Locktite.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camshaft? I think you mean crankshaft?

Isn't there a slot on both the crank and in the damper hub - a keyway for a Woodruff Key?

When you pulled it off it may have dropped down onto the crossmember or the floor.

The key keeps the damper from turning on the shaft, the bolt simply holds it all together.

Yes, a touch of Blue Locktite.
new at this a woodruff key?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a woodruff key? is that like adowell like pin that i have to put in after i put on the new crankshaft pully, before the nut and bolt

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Look at the shaft - there should be a notch in it.
Then look at the damper hub, another notch.
The key is a long square thing. About 1/4 X 1/4 X 1". Then when you line the 2 notches up the the key slides into the hole made by lining up the 2 notches. It locks the 2 parts together.
Then the bolt and washer goes on, trapping the key in the hole and holding the damper from sliding off.

When you pulled the damper off, that key probably fell somewhere.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts