Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so the past 2 days this has happenend to me one time. I was driving on the highway and i was coming around a bend and went over some miner bumps or cracks in the pavement, all of the sudden my car started shaking so vioently. I though the engine was gonna drop out of the car or my transmission was about to come lose and i was gonna die. I panicked and turned off the car while still on the highway. This didnt do anything and i still felt like the engine was on and it kept shaking. I turned the engine back on and it still continued but i could still accelerate and brake. The steering wheel was wobbling back and forth and it was hard to turn or maintain control. I started to slow down to stop on the shoulder but when i got below like 30 mph the shaking just stopped. I continued on my way without any problems and it still drives perfectly fine. I have a 09 2 door sport. Also, my traction control light and my ESP BAS light have been on for a week or two but i havnt had time to get them looked at so idk if this is realated or it is a seperate problem. Any help would be appreciated becasue i was very scared when this happend and if it keeps happeneing something is gonna come lose and it will not be good.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that what happens when you have a lift kit that is not installed properly? Because my jeep is not lifted its all stock so that couldn't be it.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Number one would be to take it to a garage to get checked out and see what computer codes are causing the ESP light to come on.
Could be a bad wheel sensor causing the ABS to engage when you hit a certain speed.
Sounds like a dangerous enough situation that you should not be driving the vehicle in that condition. Take it to a mechanic and get the problem diagnosed before it causes an accident.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
If it's for no reason just tell it to stop.:hide:

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sounds like death wobble if you had to come to nearly a complete stop. Stock or lifted doesn't matter. Search for "planman death wobble." He has an extensive death wobble thread. Like kjeeper said, check your track bar and mounts as it's usually the most common and easy to check.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Crap, based on what i just read death wobble is probably what i have. Is it an expensive fix? Can i just take it to brakes plus or does it have to go to the dealership?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Alright, so the past 2 days this has happenend to me one time. I was driving on the highway and i was coming around a bend and went over some miner bumps or cracks in the pavement, all of the sudden my car started shaking so vioently. I though the engine was gonna drop out of the car or my transmission was about to come lose and i was gonna die. I panicked and turned off the car while still on the highway. This didnt do anything and i still felt like the engine was on and it kept shaking. I turned the engine back on and it still continued but i could still accelerate and brake. The steering wheel was wobbling back and forth and it was hard to turn or maintain control. I started to slow down to stop on the shoulder but when i got below like 30 mph the shaking just stopped. I continued on my way without any problems and it still drives perfectly fine. I have a 09 2 door sport. Also, my traction control light and my ESP BAS light have been on for a week or two but i havnt had time to get them looked at so idk if this is realated or it is a seperate problem. Any help would be appreciated becasue i was very scared when this happend and if it keeps happeneing something is gonna come lose and it will not be good.
Several things jump out at me in this. First beingyou shut it off. Do you realize when the engine is off you have bad steering and worse breaks. Recipe for major screw up.
Second, its not a car.
Third would be as many details about the vehicle as possible.
I would suspect death wobble, and maybe some loose bolts to add to it.
Big tires and small rims don't help either. But we don't know what you have.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked for signs that this may be death wobble and i found no lose screws or anything that looked out of the ordinary, should i post pictures?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Dont freak..1st have tires checked and check balance.Could be a flat spot or a balance issue most of the time thats it. If not check alignment.. these are cheap things.. dw can be a hard condition to track down as it can be any number of or a combination of things..and quit calling it a car

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
I just looked for signs that this may be death wobble and i found no lose screws or anything that looked out of the ordinary, should i post pictures?
In the thread on DW, there is a detailed inspection checklist. Follow it and report back.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My wheels are pretty misaligned, i have to turn my steering wheel about 45% to the left for it to go striaght, could this be it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
jwalker2244 said:
My wheels are pretty misaligned, i have to turn my steering wheel about 45% to the left for it to go striaght, could this be it?
Set fire to it

·
Registered
346 Posts
That sounds like the cause of your ESP tripping.

Have you looked at Planman's thread? Find the thread. Read it. Work your way down that checklist. If you aren't capable, print it out and take it to a reputable 4x4 shop in your area.

Death wobble can have countless causes and can cause countless problems, which is why Planman created his thread.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
Frshmt said:
That sounds like the cause of your ESP tripping.

Have you looked at Planman's thread? Find the thread. Read it. Work your way down that checklist. If you aren't capable, print it out and take it to a reputable 4x4 shop in your area.

Death wobble can have countless causes and can cause countless problems, which is why Planman created his thread.
ah death wobble :(

OP .... Did you go yank on your track bar?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts