Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys need some advice...

I am currently 24 months into my 39 month lease on a 2015 Firecracker Red JKU Sahara X Games Edition. Love it! Never had any issues. Ive done some easy mods, nothing too serious.

The dealer called me the other day saying I have equity in the vehicle, come in and talk...

I went in today and they made in my opinion a pretty attractive offer. I would be starting a new 39 month lease with the exact same payment on a fully loaded 2017 Firecracker Red JKU Rubicon Recon Edition. MRSP came to over $46k. I would not be putting a penny down either.

Would you all jump on this opportunity? When my lease was up next year I planned on just getting a new Wrangler anyway. However, should I wait and possibly get the JL?

I need help/advice

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would never lease a vehicle. I even hate buying the wife a new car every 5 years. I prefer to pay cash for used, I feel I get the best value for my money this way. But if you like leasing, then this does sound like a good deal for you, and I think if you were going to lease anyway, you should go ahead and go for it.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
... on a fully loaded 2017 Firecracker Red JKU Rubicon Recon Edition. MRSP came to over $46k.
I think a fully loaded Recon will be more than over $46K... up around $54K.

My dealer keeps calling and emailing with a similar offer. The difference is while my monthly payment amount will remain the same, the number of months for which I would have to make those payments, will go way up for me, by a whopping 6 times the number!

·
Registered
267 Posts
If you want another lease it sounds like a good offer. If you don't want another lease and want another wrangler see what offers they make for you to buy.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i like to lease

the debate is not over leasing/financing

its more back out of this lease early or wait 15 more months for a 2018 JL

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think a fully loaded Recon will be more than over $46K... up around $54K.

My dealer keeps calling and emailing with a similar offer. The difference is while my monthly payment amount will remain the same, the number of months for which I would have to make those payments, will go way up for me, by a whopping 6 times the number!

$54k??! no way! the only things I didn't build into mine was Auto trans and engine block heater.

It has EVERYTHING else

·
Registered
27 Posts
I always lease my cars (until now with the JKU on the way). If they are aggressively trying to get your car back, it is for one reason. They can resell it for significantly more than your repurchase price.

If I was you, I would ask your leasing company what your current buyout price is. Then, do a quick EBay/CL search to see what you could sell your Jeep for right now as it sits. Low miles help. If there is a big difference, there is profit to be made by you. Sell the Jeep and use the profit for your next ride. Wait until the JL if you want.

Bear in mind a resale may make more sense for the dealer bc the dealer buyout price is less and then can avoid some taxes when flipping a car.

Either way you're in a good place.

BTW, at the end of a lease, I once put my car on CL to see what happened. Guy bought it asking price for cash. I simultaneously bought the car at the end of the lease and sold it to the guy. Pocketed $8k.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always lease my cars (until now with the JKU on the way). If they are aggressively trying to get your car back, it is for one reason. They can resell it for significantly more than your repurchase price.

If I was you, I would ask your leasing company what your current buyout price is. Then, do a quick EBay/CL search to see what you could sell your Jeep for right now as it sits. Low miles help. If there is a big difference, there is profit to be made by you. Sell the Jeep and use the profit for your next ride. Wait until the JL if you want.

Bear in mind a resale may make more sense for the dealer bc the dealer buyout price is less and then can avoid some taxes when flipping a car.

BTW, at the end of a lease, I once put my car on CL to see what happened. Guy bought it asking price for cash. I simultaneously bought the car at the end of the lease and sold it to the guy. Pocketed $8k.
my buy out on my current lease is about $26,500 and the trade in value is roughly $31,500... so $5k of equity thru the dealership.

if i sold it privately i might get $2k or so more but is it worth the headache, prob not. maybe ill throw it up on CL just to see if there is any action.

Thanks

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
$54k??! no way! the only things I didn't build into mine was Auto trans and engine block heater.

It has EVERYTHING else
Go price a Recon on the Jeep website. Taking off the Auto and 4.10 axles will drop it to around $51K, but not all the way down to a $46K sticker.

You must be missing some other options?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Hey Guys need some advice...

I am currently 24 months into my 39 month lease on a 2015 Firecracker Red JKU Sahara X Games Edition. Love it! Never had any issues. Ive done some easy mods, nothing too serious.

The dealer called me the other day saying I have equity in the vehicle, come in and talk...

I went in today and they made in my opinion a pretty attractive offer. I would be starting a new 39 month lease with the exact same payment on a fully loaded 2017 Firecracker Red JKU Rubicon Recon Edition. MRSP came to over $46k. I would not be putting a penny down either.

Would you all jump on this opportunity? When my lease was up next year I planned on just getting a new Wrangler anyway. However, should I wait and possibly get the JL?

I need help/advice
The dealership has you on a database to call you to try to get you in earlier than later. You do not have any equity on your lease. The NADA, KBB and other guides will say that your Jeep is worth "x" retail. I work at a dealership and after taking some JK's in I can attest that the retail book value is no where near what the actual transaction price is for used JK's. If they can get you into a new Jeep for the same payment as the old Jeep and you are comfortable with the rest of the terms, I'd say why not.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts

How were you able to sell it without possessing a title?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
You tell the leasing company you want to exercise your option to buy, they come up with a buy out based on residual plus accelerated payments and let you buy it, or in the case of a trade, they will let the dealer have the title

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
The dealership has you on a database to call you to try to get you in earlier than later. You do not have any equity on your lease. The NADA, KBB and other guides will say that your Jeep is worth "x" retail. I work at a dealership and after taking some JK's in I can attest that the retail book value is no where near what the actual transaction price is for used JK's. If they can get you into a new Jeep for the same payment as the old Jeep and you are comfortable with the rest of the terms, I'd say why not.
How were you able to sell it without possessing a title?
At any time during a lease you may have equity in a vehicle. For instance if I had leased my Jeep they are currently selling for $30K plus. I only paid $36k for it and if it was leased I would have around $25K residual at the end of the lease. In fact I pretty much had equity in my Jeep from day one.

And you don't need title in hand to sell a vehicle. All you need to do is work with the bank or the leasing company. As long as they get there money they will transfer the title to whomever you want it to go to.

·
Super Moderator
4,556 Posts
The dealership is offering you this deal for one reason, they will make money on it.
But if you are happy to make payments, and accept that you will always be making payments (if you lease vehicles, and simply lease another when this lease is up, you are never at a point where you have a vehicle and no payment) you might as well lease the latest, greatest version of whatever you want. Don't worry about the JL, not long after that is out they will be making you a similar offer to upgrade again.
I say if you are leasing anyway, lease what you want. If you want a new Wrangler, that is what you should do.
Just make sure it has the options and features you want.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
why does it matter if you're always going to lease? ignorance is bliss sometimes. why do you even care what we think? you'd get a rubicon recon for nothing down and your payment doesn't change? I think you kind of answered your own question...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts