Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a 2014 JKU Sport with about 2000 miles on it. So I had the Rancho 3" Sport Suspension Lift Kit installed today at the dealer. Dropped it off last night and picked it up today before my midnight shift. Right off the lot i experienced issues with steering. Specifically lane changes. Wasnt until about 5 miles off the lot I experienced a death wobble. Running late for work I had to borrow the old ladys car and had her father bring back the jeep to the dealer. I called them to let them know something was wrong. They were pretty confident it was the lack of an aftermarket steering stabilizer. Of Course it'll take 2 days to get in and they gotta get me with the install of that. I just want the thing driveable.

Well, After reading the "Diagnosing Death Wobble" Thread. It seems that the steering stabilizer isn't the problem but more so an improper install.

Im just at a lost for words, not really sure what to do.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
First off, I have a 2014 JKU Sport with about 2000 miles on it. So I had the Rancho 3" Sport Suspension Lift Kit installed today at the dealer. Dropped it off last night and picked it up today before my midnight shift. Right off the lot i experienced issues with steering. Specifically lane changes. Wasnt until about 5 miles off the lot I experienced a death wobble. Running late for work I had to borrow the old ladys car and had her father bring back the jeep to the dealer. I called them to let them know something was wrong. They were pretty confident it was the lack of an aftermarket steering stabilizer. Of Course it'll take 2 days to get in and they gotta get me with the install of that. I just want the thing driveable.

Well, After reading the "Diagnosing Death Wobble" Thread. It seems that the steering stabilizer isn't the problem but more so an improper install.

Im just at a lost for words, not really sure what to do.
alright you have said about 5 different things that lead me to believe that your dealer (there is one problem) has absolutely no clue what they are talking about. I beat the crap out of my 3 1/2 lifted 2 door with 37's and I dont even use a stabilizer. I drive it 60 miles a day to work at 85mph. an ideal jeep will drive perfect with no stabilizer at all, you can then add one for a little more comfort.

with only 2000 miles on the jeep and pretty much 0 on the suspension, they didnt tighten something. most likely your front trackbar is giving you problems.

all of the other general causes, like balljoints, wouldnt show up for many more miles.

DO NOT PAY A PENNY until that jeep drives like a dream.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
take a look under the front end, the frame end trackbar bracket is just forward of your driver side spring, its pretty easy to see. that is generally the #1 culprit.

look for any looseness in the bolt. have someone cycle the steering left and right looking for any movement.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,202 Posts
I have a 6" long arm suspension. I have had it for 7 years. I don't run a stabilizer and have never had death wobble. I don't know why you would let the dealer install a lift. They probably have about the same experience with that lift as you, none.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Definitely not the steering stabilizer. The dealer did not install the lift correctly. Could be anything wrong really since they are recommending the stabilizer as a solution. That answer shows they have zero knowledge of how to install a lift correctly, the problem that exist now, or how to properly fix it.

Don't walk...run away from that place.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
they delivered you an unsafe vehicle. I would go in there and request them to make it right. if they insist that it needs a stabilizer, get rancho on the line and see what they have to say. the first word out of their mouth will be "well, did everything get tightened down properly?"

because something didnt.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
they delivered you an unsafe vehicle. I would go in there and request them to make it right. if they insist that it needs a stabilizer, get rancho on the line and see what they have to say. the first word out of their mouth will be "well, did everything get tightened down properly?"

because something didnt.
Yah thats what gets me the most. I cant believe they let me drive that thing off the lot after it had a "road test". its crazy.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
King,

Unfortunately this is a bit of a right of passage. Everyone on here is frustrated by your experience and hate hearing things like this. What's worse is when the recommended fix is what they said to do. This is the time to now read...read...read about all of the parts in your jeep and get comfortable with what everything does. Get your hands in on it too and start doing your own work on these things.

A lot of jeepers have to go through something like this to see the need for learning jeeps inside and out. Keep us posted, hope everything gets fixed.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Yah thats what gets me the most. I cant believe they let me drive that thing off the lot after it had a "road test". its crazy.
Ask that the lift installer torque all of the bolts w/Loc-tite to spec. My Jeeps track bar nut/bolt like to loosen themselves daily. Carry a set of tools and learn how to tighten your track bar bolts.

YouTube has a PLAN MAN DRY STEERING TEST video (parts 1 and 2) that you need to view. I have dealt with Death Wobble and SHIMMY for just a little over 15 months. Check out my build thread - page 3. I think whatever was loosened was not torqued back up nice and tight. My Jeep was a basket case, and now its driveable at hwy speeds. Yours can be too, just take some time and make sure your front end parts are good and tight.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
King, Unfortunately this is a bit of a right of passage. Everyone on here is frustrated by your experience and hate hearing things like this. What's worse is when the recommended fix is what they said to do. This is the time to now read...read...read about all of the parts in your jeep and get comfortable with what everything does. Get your hands in on it too and start doing your own work on these things. A lot of jeepers have to go through something like this to see the need for learning jeeps inside and out. Keep us posted, hope everything gets fixed.
Most stuff I like to do on my own. Just felt I didn't have the time or resources to do it on my own. But looks like things will be changing. You guys on this forum are great and I appreciate all your help.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
King,

Unfortunately this is a bit of a right of passage. Everyone on here is frustrated by your experience and hate hearing things like this. What's worse is when the recommended fix is what they said to do. This is the time to now read...read...read about all of the parts in your jeep and get comfortable with what everything does. Get your hands in on it too and start doing your own work on these things.

A lot of jeepers have to go through something like this to see the need for learning jeeps inside and out. Keep us posted, hope everything gets fixed.
dang I couldnt have said it better myself!:beerdrinking:

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
All the cool guys with no stabilizer :)

OP .. Get dirty. Have somebody turn the steering wheel 9/3 slowly then quickly. Look at the front bar (track bar/pan hard bar) that spans from the left side of the axle to the frame.
Any looseness whether it be a bushing, worn out mount hole. Can and will be the main cause for DW.

I am more concerned with what happens to the rest of the front end after multiple death wobbles.
Ball joints, tie rod ends, your stabilizer, mount holes, welds, CA bushings, drag link clamp, tie rod clamp, pitman arm/steering box. Any or all if these can be Damaged by the violent shake.
It's very important a thorough inspection is done.

If you haven't done so please read PlanMans DW thread stickied in tech/gen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should read first :hide:

With the 3" kit, are the control arm drop brackets included ? That sounds like a caster issue. How about a alignment ?
Also you need to find out if they tightened your bolts while the suspension was drooped.

It's all in PlanMan's threads and noted here
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/newbys-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html
The kit did not come with control arm brackets. IS this something i should look into?

Also, the thought occurred. Could i be having a problem because I'm still on stock wheels and tires? I wouldn't think so but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Can you describe what you expirenced -

Is it:

Death Wobble - where you have to change your shorts - was it at a certain speed...or did a bump set it off and you had to slow to almost a stop to get the front to stop shaking.

or

Bump Steer - hit a bump and steering wheel saws back and forth?

Just so we know where to steer you....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts