Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me diagnose an issue I'm having with my 2012 2-door Wrangler Sport: There is a rotational, metallic “squealing” or “squeaking” sound that increases and decreases with speed, and does not seem affected by RPMs or shifting or brake pressure. Appears to be tire/wheel related. The sound occurs between 10 and 40 MPH. A window must be down in order to best hear it. The sound is similar to squealing brakes, but the sound does not change when brake pressure is applied. The sound only occurs in the winter when the temperatures are low (below freezing).

I've had my Jeep into the dealership 3 times and they cannot determine the cause of the sound. They said that my brakes are basically brand new, and that the rotor shields are not bent or misshapen.

Any thoughts or help you can provide would be really appreciated; I'm at the end of my rope here.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Is the jeep stock as far as suspension ? Have you checked fluid levels in front and rear diffs ? Maybe check drive shafts to...:tomatoes:

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The sound is similar to squealing brakes, but the sound does not change when brake pressure is applied.
How about applying the parking brake - does that change the sound?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Just a couple thoughts... Axle U-joints or hub unit bearings come to mind. Worn ball joints would contribute to early bearing failure. Are you saying the dealership couldn't hear the problem?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer could not "replicate the issue" on two separate trips to their service dept. On the third trip, I drove down the street with one of the mechanics and pointed out the noise to him. He wasn't sure what the noise was at the time, and their staff ultimately could not figure it out, and recommended a complete and costly brake replacement with no guarantee that the work would actually fix the issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had a sudden horrible noise that closely matched your issue. I had a small rock wedged in between a dust plate and the brake rotor on the front. May not hurt to put it up on stands and spin the wheels or take the wheels off and inspect things if the dealer didn't.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
I had a sudden horrible noise that closely matched your issue. I had a small rock wedged in between a dust plate and the brake rotor on the front. May not hurt to put it up on stands and spin the wheels or take the wheels off and inspect things if the dealer didn't.
I would do this. If the dealer isn't taking off the wheels to attempt a diagnosis then what's the point for them saying they can't replicate. They're taking the lazy way out.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would do this. If the dealer isn't taking off the wheels to attempt a diagnosis then what's the point for them saying they can't replicate. They're taking the lazy way out.
You're telling me. The "can't replicate the issue" excuse is wearing me pretty thin. Can they not investigate potential causes based on the symptoms I'm providing? Instead they just hand it back to me as if I'm hearing things.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I second and third the recommendations of putting the Jeep up on jack stands to remove the tires for a better inspection to locate the noise. From you description I would check the axle U joints first and then verify there isn't a rock between the dust shield the brake rotor.
The dealer is definitely taking the easy way out.... by not removing the tires during the investigation.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
When you go to the dealership for something like this, make sure you get a written service record from them stating; 1) that they heard the noise, 2) where it is coming from (general area), 3) that it is not normal, and 4) they are unable to identify the source or fix the problem. That way at least you have it documented as a problem that occurred under warranty.

As others have said, pulling the wheels and taking a look is a good idea. Pull the rear rotors to make sure that there isn't debris in the parking brake area.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for your input - I'm having another mechanic look at it next week, and now at least I'll have some info to go with.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, update: The garage looked at it twice, could hear the sound a little, but could not diagnose it. They pulled all wheels off, cleaned all the brakes, rotors, etc. It still makes the noise. When I brought it back the next week, they drove it all over town and of course, it was quiet as a mouse.

Here's a video that captures the noise fairly well. The noise is very high-pitched. Any help in diagnosing the issue would be helpful, thanks. This is driving me nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPRuxB-IynI&feature=youtu.be

1 - 20 of 29 Posts