Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my np231 out to replace it with a working one. when i removed the transfer case..it was rtv'd onto the transmission? is this correct?
i was expecting the transmission fluid to pour out but i spoke to a fellow jeeper and he said his transmission fluid has never poured out. so here is a picture of the back of my transmission ( which i assume is an ax15) i have the 4L 6cyl, stnrd 5 spd. do i need a new seal. if so, what is it called and how do i install it? also one last thing. the new tcase has no double end thread bolts in it, where does one go about finding these? when i install them, i should thread lock them? whats the best tool for tightening them..or should i just use the 2 nut trick

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Codyak said:
i took my np231 out to replace it with a working one. when i removed the transfer case..it was rtv'd onto the transmission? is this correct?
i was expecting the transmission fluid to pour out but i spoke to a fellow jeeper and he said his transmission fluid has never poured out. so here is a picture of the back of my transmission ( which i assume is an ax15) i have the 4L 6cyl, stnrd 5 spd. do i need a new seal. if so, what is it called and how do i install it? also one last thing. the new tcase has no double end thread bolts in it, where does one go about finding these? when i install them, i should thread lock them? whats the best tool for tightening them..or should i just use the 2 nut trick

Thank you in advance!
Bump

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I do believe that would be your rear transmission output seal and by the looks of it you should replace it. Pry it out and take the seal to a transmission shop, they should have the seal or will know where to get one. To put it in I would find a piece of PVC pipe the same size as the seal and gently use it and a hammer to tap the new one in.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts

Yes. I just spent way too much $$$$ having the seals replaced. The dealer told me Chrystler RTV'd those seals from the factory.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Peepers said:
Yes. I just spent way too much $$$$ having the seals replaced. The dealer told me Chrystler RTV'd those seals from the factory.
My tcase was rtvd to the tranny. Should i re apply?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
My tcase was rtvd to the tranny. Should i re apply?
No, the seal is made at the output and/or input shaft, not where the cases are bolted together. There is not supposed to be any ATF or gear lube in the space between where the transmission and transfer cases are bolted together so there is no RTV used where the two cases are joined together. My bet is the previous owner had a leak and didn't know how to replace the leaking seal which is actually pretty easily replaced.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
^^What He said^^

I usually go off the "if it was there when I took it apart I'm going to put it there when I put it back together" theory of repair

·
Registered
8,952 Posts
No, the seal is made at the output and/or input shaft, not where the cases are bolted together. There is not supposed to be any ATF or gear lube in the space between where the transmission and transfer cases
x2. Just bolt em together, no gasket or RTV. There is also a small opening at the bottom of the t-case mounting face...which is for drainage of any fluid that gets in that space. You'll need to replace your seal before reinstalling the t-case.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
distortedtj said:
Yes you have the AX-15 trans. :)
I cleaned my seal and it seems to be in good shape. No cuts or cracks. I dont see how a seal with a good 1/2" gap to the output shaft keeps any oil in...

·
Knows a couple things...
49,399 Posts
I dont see how a seal with a good 1/2" gap to the output shaft keeps any oil in...
That gap is to allow the input shaft of the transfer case to fit over the output shaft of the transmission. That seal actually seals around the transfer case's input shaft. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
That gap is to allow the input shaft of the transfer case to fit over the output shaft of the transmission. That seal actually seals around the transfer case's input shaft. :)
Duh. Thanks man. I hope one day i can answer peoples questions!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
You know, there should be a jeep expert forum. Id fork over the visa for answers even more for instant. Thanks alot man! Still though when i pulled my tcase the tranny wad jacked up pretty high. Close to where it always sits and it leaked like a litre

1 - 19 of 19 Posts