Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two year old gsp chews my seatbelt when she sits in the back of my 2014 jku sahara. Anyone else have this issue. What did you do to solve it. I ask because I just replaced my seatbelt two weeks ago and she did it again.

Dealer wanted 165 for a new belt. I used safety restore out of Massachusetts and they rewebbed it for me for 75. But even at 75 this is getting expensive.

Any ideas?? Is there a seat belt guard ?? She tends to chew it right at the guard and she is lightning quick. We go to a park less than three minutes away when she did it last

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Here is an idea guaranteed to work: keep your dog OUT of your Jeep

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Another idea: muzzle her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pet stores carry "stop bite" sprays. Often they're sour apple, some flavor that dogs seen to avoid. Spray it on the belts and see if it helps

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I can sympathize. My first Samoyed would express his anger toward me, by chewing up the seat belts in the back.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't let animals in my Jeep, truck, car or motorcycle...or ATV or snowmobile..or tractor or lawnmower.
Animals (pets) can be cute and lovable, but also destructive.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Wipe some powdered cayenne pepper on the belt.Just a little bit across the webbing.
That should stop the chewing
Cameron

·
Registered
593 Posts
Forget cayenne.... Use Habanero's..... if the little bastards want to chew up anything in my Jeep.... it will suffer!
Wife's been trying to get me to take the dog in my new JKR... I don't mind the outside getting trail striping, but I definitely don't need inside scratches.....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Second the cayenne

Mine chewed up my center back seatbelt, as opposed to the front lol.

I have a dog cover for the whole back seat, hides the seatbelt recievers. Always have a bone or two back there now.

·
Registered
497 Posts
The cone of shame. attaches to the collar. Real funny when they stick their head out the window. It stops chewing stitches.
The liquid chew stop or pepper.
A seat belt cover but that might make it look like a stuffed toy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. Cayenne might not be the best idea because my kids use the Seatbelts and I'm concerned about getting on their hands. Muzzle is an option I thought about but not excited about the chore of having to put it on her when we go places. Was thinking about putting a bone back there. Maybe will try the bitter spray.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Why is it a chore to put a muzzle on her? Does she think she is the alpha? If so, you may have bigger problems than chewed seatbelts.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Dog poop. Dogs generally stop digging at the smell of feces. So a few piles of their own in the back seat ought to solve your problem.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Here in Texas you put cayenne or habenero on the seatbelt, the family would be chewing on the seatbelt!! Ca c'est bon! Lol

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
I know two things that would happen with my dog. First, I would beat his ass. Second, if that didn't work he wouldn't ride in my Jeep. Luckily my dog chewed the shit out of an Eddie Bauer Explorer when he was a puppy. So he got it out of his system and I traded that SUV in on a Cherokee which I should have never sold. I beat his ass and he turned into the best dog I could ever dream of.

·
Premium Member
1,551 Posts
Dogs are dogs, people. If you don't let yours ride with you that's your prerogative, but I love nothing more than taking my pooch with me whenever and wherever I can. My solution for the OP is to invest in a dog hammock for the back seat. It just attaches at the headrest of front and back seats and helps them feel secure because that big empty space between the seats isn't open. That may be enough in itself, as your pup may chew out of anxiety. If you really want to make certain he/she can't get to the shoulder belts you can run them behind the seats and buckle them from underneath the hammock. It does get a little flappy if you like to run your jeep naked with the hammock in place. Also if you haven't already, get a strong harness and leash. Loop the leash around the rear cross piece of your roll bar and clip to the harness. Make sure it's short enough that they can't stick their head past the seat edge.

Hope this helps

Joe

·
Super Moderator
9,601 Posts
The dog is doing it for a reason, bored, scared, nervous etc. If you have a shock collar that could allow you stop the behavior as it happens and associate it with a negative consequence.
I'd stay away from pepper ideas. You get that in your eyes by accident it'll burn like hell. And could end up in a very expensive trip to the vet. Personally this is a training issue not a dog issue. Dogs chew and until you TRAIN your dog not to chew specific things they don't know any better.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts