Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Doors won't come off…

I have a 2013 Unlimited. I had the doors on and off multiple times last summer, but today they wouldn't budge!

When I took them off for the first time last year I didn't put the bottom bolts back in (mistake?). This time, I unhooked all of the electrical and other door attachments, but when I pulled up on the door (at about a 90 degree angle from the body), the body just rocked up with the force. I asked my wife to help, and it was the same thing. Added WD-40…no luck. We put the hinge screws back in, and then removed them…still same thing. All four doors are "frozen" to the vehicle, but have no problems opening and closing.

Any help is very much appreciated!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any way to add pressure with maybe a floor jack or a hoist while swinging the door open to almost closed to wiggle it out?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have a bad back so I cant really muscle the doors off. On someones recommendation here, I sprayed some lube (PBlaster since I didnt have WD on hand) and wiggled the doors back and forth a couple of times. THen squatted down so that my knees were under the door (one knee as close to hinges as possible) and then just kind of stood up. This time they just popped right off.

Try that it may help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
noticed mine were frozen last week after a winter of no bolts in there. i hit it with WD-40, like you did, but then i disconnected everything and CAREFULLY swung the door to fully open and close about 15-20 times and they slid right out. maybe i gave it time for the WD-40 to spread, but it did the trick for me. hope it helps.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I purchased a used 08, previous owner neglected the hinges & bushings. First time taking the fronts off was a nightmare. Like others have suggested, soak the hinge with a penetrating oil like liquid wrench / wd40 / kroil. Then gently rock the doors back and forth with upward pressure @ a 90° angle to the body. Be careful while doing this because the door may "pop" out. Be ready because it can be heavy/awkward angle. Also be careful not to hit the door against the frame, the paint with chip - ask me how I know that -

If that fails, last resort method is to use a floor jack, padded with a piece of wood and a towel as a softener, and slowly jack up from underneath the door while rocking it back and forth. Use extreme caution when doing this. Having a partner brace the door helps.

Lastly, remember to apply a good quality grease to the hinge pins before reinstalling. It'll make it much easier for you in the future

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
WD40 is not a lubricant or a penetrating oil. As it dries up it'll make this problem worse. PB Blaster or kroil are vastly better. Some machinist magazine tested how much torque using these chemicals require to break free, and WD40 (in addition to being awful long-term) was by far the worst. I think the next-worst was still about twice as good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I took mine off for the first time this year what a PITA

I wacked the hinges pretty good with a mallet and had to lift up while swinging the doors back an fourth

·
Registered
232 Posts
WD40 is not a lubricant or a penetrating oil. As it dries up it'll make this problem worse. PB Blaster or kroil are vastly better. Some machinist magazine tested how much torque using these chemicals require to break free, and WD40 (in addition to being awful long-term) was by far the worst. I think the next-worst was still about twice as good.
good to know, thanks for the tip. i will be sure to hit the hinges now with the something better and grease the doors before they go back in the fall.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Spray some PB blaster and drive around for day. Make sure to open and close each door a few times. Also after doors off season, put the nuts back in for winter.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Last year 3 of my doors came off easily. The driver side passenger, not so much. I tried lubing it and taping it, nothing. I grabbed a short 2x6, placed it under the door, used my hydraulic jack to raise it up just a bit and it popped right off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
When you finally get them off, inspect your hinge bushings. All of mine were worn beyond recognition. The plastic was pretty much gone & down to the metal sleeve. I ended up replacing them all with delrin bushings found on the Internet ($55ish for all 4 doors) . Door operation is nice & smooth now.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Two words: Delrin bushings!

I have a 2013 and took the doors off countless times all last year and then this year they were a BEAR to get off. Once I got them off I replaced all 8 bushings with Delrin from blackmagicbrakes and they are like butter now and will remain so.

9mm long socket tapped up through the hinge popped them all out and I replaced the bushing and was all set, 30 min tops. I had heard that galvanic corrosion between dissimilar metals in the hinge between bushing and steel pin is the reason. A jack and a piece of wood will work but go slow and make sure the force of the jack is distrubuted along the bottom of the door best you can.

Absolutely get Delrin bushings and this will be the last time you have this problem.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Once you get the doors off, use white lithium grease before the doors go back on. That's what I use and I have never had a problem. Worked well through a very snowy winter with lots of road salt.

·
Premium Member
2,826 Posts
Everything you said is true,,,,BUT did you know that WD40 stands for water displacement formula 40! originally it was made to do just that. It was the 40th formula they tried in the lab and the best, thus the number 40. Over the years people have used it for everything from lubricant to hand cleaner, and even some fisherman swear by it as a fish attractant on plastic bates. When the distributor in your car (if your old enough to remember) was wet, WD40 was just the ticket...and the old version of it was really great starting fluid for big diesels.

For frozen hinges and bolts "Nut Buster" is very good, and one other point, no really good penetrating product is also a good long term lubricant. If it is good for everything it is not the best at any one of them....just throwing that out.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Once you get the doors off, use white lithium grease before the doors go back on. That's what I use and I have never had a problem. Worked well through a very snowy winter with lots of road salt.
I use Never Seize on everything. Every time a bolt, pin, anything comes out of my Jeep, I apply an ample amount of Never Seize to it. This will ensure years of trouble free movement and no snapped bolts due to rust. Every time I remove my doors they slide right out with no resistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts