Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any input would be helpful, I was drilling out a larger hole for a river raider fender flare in the passenger side fender. Did not realize there is a wiring harness here. When I tried to start the car wouldn't turn over. After opening and inspecting the harness I saw that there are 2-3 wires that were severed, a red a green and purple. My question is if I splice these wires with new ones will everything revert back to normal? And what size wire a Gauge should I use or will that not matter because it's got a fuse?
I'm actually getting a diablo sport unlocked pcm tomorrow so luckily if I've fried something in the pcm from a short I'll have that for replacement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
just reconnect the wires with same gauge wires. ensure to use heat shrink tubing and maybe even waterproof connectors to ensure no electrical issues down the road. but youll be fine. and you shouldnt have fried anything unless it somehow grounded itself.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does gauge size matter?
YES! Optimum would be to match the wire gage.

You can go to a little larger gage wire - within reason. Going to a smaller gage wire would not be recommended. It might be fine. But if that circuit is being used near the maximum rating of the present wire, and you use a smaller gage, there is a real danger of fire. It isn't worth the risk.

Mike -- El Paso, TX.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts