Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am a real winner! I have a 2013 Wrangler Unlimited . I placed my keys (all my keys) on the dashboard while removing my temporary registration sticker and they slid between the windshield and the defogger . There is a flimsy piece of rubbery plastic that gave way and I heard my keys slide and land . Has this ever happened to anyone and how the hell do I get them? Are they in a place where I can drive to a mechanic or are they going to fall out from underneath on to the street while driving?

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Excuse me for a moment............

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK....I'm better now....

Pulling the upper dash is really easy. Four 7mm bolts is all it takes. (Two under the steering column, one under the rubber tray on top of the dash, and one under/behind the power window module). Hopefully, if you remove that part, you can get to them....

Look for the "RBZ, not looking back" thread, I think there are detailed instructions one how to remvove the dash in that thread.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse me for a moment............

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OK....I'm better now....

Pulling the upper dash is really easy. Four 7mm bolts is all it takes. (Two under the steering column, one under the rubber tray on top of the dash, and one under/behind the power window module). Hopefully, if you remove that part, you can get to them....

Look for the "RBZ, not looking back" thread, I think there are detailed instructions one how to remvove the dash in that thread.
Thanks so much for the quick response. I would laugh at myself if I wasn't so upset. I'm 42 and this is up there on my top 5 stupid list.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Hey, accidents happen. Don't beat yourself up too bad. Learn from it and move forward!

Hope you were about to recover your keys.

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
Not sure if you can reach it this way or not but it's super easy and doesn't involve any bolt removals. Might try popping out the glove box. Very simple in 3 secs of time. You can reach your hand up into the rear of most of the dash this way. But if all else fails...yank the dash off. :firedevil:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can you try getting in there with a magnet, either on one of those telescoping rods or maybe even a string. The duct work is plastic so the magnet shouldn't stick to anything other than the keys. Good luck. :popcorn:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not sure if you can reach it this way or not but it's super easy and doesn't involve any bolt removals. Might try popping out the glove box. Very simple in 3 secs of time. You can reach your hand up into the rear of most of the dash this way. But if all else fails...yank the dash off. :firedevil:
Popped it out but didn't see them.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hey, you're not the only one who's done stupid things. I once locked my keys and my toddler son inside the car. He was in there, in his car seat, for probably 5 minutes but I swear he looked at me and was thinking, "God, I hope that's not really my father." He's 23 now and bears no scars from this incident. :rofl:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ah, the JK black hole has another victim. You're going to have to take it apart.
Yeah it's looking that way. I had the spare key to the truck in the kitchen as for the rest of the keys I am going to have to come and go with my wife till I get this sorted. First stop tomorrow is my mechanic.

·
Retired Mod
11,136 Posts
Did you remove the upper dash? Honestly, it take about 4 minutes....

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I once locked my keys in the Jeep at a mall..... it was SO annoying..... and then it started to rain......how horrible... and the top was down.... the inside of the Jeep got all wet.....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I once locked my keys in the Jeep at a mall..... it was SO annoying..... and then it started to rain......how horrible... and the top was down.... the inside of the Jeep got all wet.....
Wait, I'm confused. Why didn't you just crawl through the back with the top down? Also, the magnetic spare key boxes are worth their weight in platinum, maybe two times their weight in platinum.

·
Registered
493 Posts
When I bought my first jk the sell or mentioned that he had done the "black hole mod" he filled that gap with weather strip foam....apparently he lost some stuff down it....

·
Registered
298 Posts
Am I the only person who never set stuff on the dash. Heck, I don't even use the tray up top on my 2012.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Am I the only person who never set stuff on the dash. Heck, I don't even use the tray up top on my 2012.
Only thing I set on my dash (in the tray) are my sunglasses. :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only thing I set on my dash (in the tray) are my sunglasses. :thumb:
Well if I knew the Grand Canyon was living just past the defogger vent I would have never placed the keys up there. I can only assume that the space is there so the windshield can be folded down.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Home Depot or lowes sells a small grabber claw on a flexible stem I've retrieved several items this way. This is also a very handy tool to have around the house. Beats takings he dash apart

·
Premium Member
4,954 Posts
Wait, I'm confused. Why didn't you just crawl through the back with the top down? Also, the magnetic spare key boxes are worth their weight in platinum, maybe two times their weight in platinum.
Wait, really?!?What?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts