Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I bought my son a 1991 YJ 2.5L 4 cylinder a couple of months ago. We are in the process of fixing it up for him. I notice while looking under the jeep that the speed sensor was cable tied in place to the transfer case and the threads that normally hold it on is broke in half. My question, is this the correct speed sensor? I found one like it online, but it is saying it doesnt fit a 1991 jeep yj.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
If the jeep has a cable it is not a 1991 it's older than that. Someone either swapped VIN numbers or the title got messed up.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
1987-1990 is early YJ they had throttle body injected 2.5

1991-1995 is late YJ they had MPFI (an injector for each cylinder) 2.5

They also went to electronic speedometer in 1991 they never had a cable.

Post pictures of the dash and engine it's easy to tell just by looking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not doubting you because you know a whole lot more than me about jeeps. this would be my first. But why am I reading other post on this forum regarding ‘91 having a “hybrid” speed sensor with mechanical speedometer cable and the electronic wire to the ECU?

·
Super Moderator
12,685 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Brad7114#1,

Find a post by Got it at last. In his signature there's a free link to several Factory Service manuals and a couple Factory Parts Manuals.
Open that link and click on the manual that you need.

The service manual that covers 1991 should have info about the speed sensor.
If Got it at last has a parts manual that covers 1991, you can compare the part number for a 1991 sensor to the part number of an earlier or later unit.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Hmm i guess i am wrong that is a MPFI jeep i was sure they had went to electric speedometer in 1991 when they went to the newer style dash.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Mopar Performance includes a vehicle speed sensor (VSS) for the cable-type speedometer in 1981-90 Jeep CJ and YJ vehicles. This adapted piece fits neatly at the OE speedometer output of the transfer case and provides the PCM with vital vehicle speed information. With the introduction of the TJ models, the speed sensor is a fully electronic device, and the speedometer no longer requires a cable.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I found that on this website https://www.4wdmechanix.com/Jeep-Fuel-Pressure-Requirements?r=1

I dont know what to make of it i guess it was some weird in between cable and electric sensor that had a combination of both? Makes no sense to me i have never seen one like that but i have never owned or worked on a 1991. I have worked on 1989 and that only had the cable and a 1992 and it was all electric.

·
Premium Member
'89 YJ 4.2 with MC-2150 Carb & HEI, 2-1/2" Ex. AX-15, NP231 SYE, Adams shafts, F&R ARB, 3
3,942 Posts
Manuals Below...

Good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks got it at last. I have downloaded them so I have for future reference. Speed sensor is on order and should be here this week.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts