Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for all weather storage bins/totes for my roof rack. Something similar to this, but sturdier. I've searched everything I can think of and came up with this Home Depot item:

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I have some of the Plano brand and some of the Action packers and the Action packers are better and have a lifetime warranty. Neither are water proof but do ok. If you have deep pockets check out some of the Pelican cases they are the boss.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
That's pretty close and I like the price. Love the Pelicans... but $600-1,000 per case? The stuf I'm putting in them is not THAT valuable!
Pelican cases look so cool though! I think SKB is a little cheaper than pelican and equally as good, that's what I used for my target bow when I traveled.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
not on the cheap side, but from what i've seen the overland guys use the Alu-boxes. They are waterproof and seem to hold up well.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those are definitely cool.
They are. Not sure I would put them up on the roof, they look more like interior boxes. Too pretty to get beat up!

Whats interesting is the price between injection plastic molded Pelican cases and these stamped, welded and riveted boxes. Pelican is more than double the price of some of these boxes.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
A real slap in the face is when somebody dumps all your shit out and just steals your case...... That's the kind of hell Pelican and Yeti bring to Life. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A real slap in the face is when somebody dumps all your shit out and just steals your case...... That's the kind of hell Pelican and Yeti bring to Life. :)
This is the truth, I bungie my yeti to the top of my tuffy enclosure and lock it to the roll bar when I have the top off and I've come back to parking lots after people have definitely tried to walk away with it on 2 occasions. It's really a shame and I know someone with some bolt cutters could walk off with it in a jiffy, but so far the cable lock has treated me well.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
This is the truth, I bungie my yeti to the top of my tuffy enclosure and lock it to the roll bar when I have the top off and I've come back to parking lots after people have definitely tried to walk away with it on 2 occasions. It's really a shame and I know someone with some bolt cutters could walk off with it in a jiffy, but so far the cable lock has treated me well.
It sucks the lengths one has to go to to Retain what they have worked hard to acquire and would like to keep.
Much of my daily planning revolves around the prescient realization that "IF" I am not careful and constantly thinking and engaging in risk management - somebody or something bad will come and piss in my cereal.
I have safes, safety enclosures, locks, alarms, cameras, guns, knives..... Why?
Some because I like them BUT most because I need them.

BTW: Good quality enclosures/coolers/etc - spend the money and Buy quality. Once and done.

·
Premium Member
1,886 Posts
BTW: Good quality enclosures/coolers/etc - spend the money and Buy quality. Once and done.

I agree with this wholeheartedly to a point but we have to keep in mind that more expensive doesn't always constitute higher or even more suitable quality. I buy things that adequately suit my needs and not to follow the crowd and brand loyalty plays no part in my decisions. Tools are a prime example. The majority of my tools are SnapOn, Mac, IR, Williams, etc. yet there are some that come from Harbor freight that do what is needed occasionally for a fraction of the expense.

As for such containers being discussed here, if they were to be used on a continuous basis under extreme conditions Pelican or something similar would be the way to go but for occasional less extreme use they would be a serious waste of money. I know a guy who has a $10,000 Fort Knox safe that contains barely $6,000 in guns. :banghead:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts