Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a jk unlimited with a hard top and I really need a better way of bringing my fishing poles along with me. If I go fishing with friends I have more than 10 cluttered from the back to the front windshield. I can't break them down because of the mess it would cause. I've seen the front mounted pole carrier, but it would be illegal to use them on the road and clearance would suck. Also no interested in Mounting something to my hard top. Let me know of some ideas you guys might have thought about. If it's a solid idea I can fabricate something. Please no pvc pipe ideas though.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a front cooler rack custom built for my 2014 JK, it holds 7 rods, 94 qt. Igloo cooler, does not obstruct the head lights that makes it legal. It is mounted on a front receiver. I have been fishing the beach for 35 years with cooler racks on 10 different 4x4s and have never been stopped, I wouldn't be without a rack. I refused to be told I couldn't use a 94 qt cooler rack, it has seven rod holders without obstructing the head lights. If you have lic. tags on front you will have to place them on the front of the rack, I don't until I'm stopped, that has never happened once in 35 years.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I break mine down and use the snap-in straps for the roll up window to hang them. If you leave them assembled, you run the risk of someone busting a tip when shutting the door.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You said you don't want to mount anything to the hard top, but did you know they have racks that clamp on to the rain gutters? I've been avoiding the racks that bolt on to the body. The one I had on my YJ bolted to the windshield and near the tail lights. When I removed it, it had messed the paint all up and that's why I don't want to put one on my new JKU. The other day I saw I guy who had the clamp on type and he said he carries his canoe on it. He also said it works with the freedom panels off. With that rack, there's no drilling and easy to remove when not in use.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Front rod racks are not illegal as long as they do not obstruct lights or front license plate.

I had a front cooler rack custom built for my 2014 JK, it holds 7 rods, 94 qt. Igloo cooler, does not obstruct the head lights that makes it legal. It is mounted on a front receiver. I have been fishing the beach for 35 years with cooler racks on 10 different 4x4s and have never been stopped, I wouldn't be without a rack. I refused to be told I couldn't use a 94 qt cooler rack, it has seven rod holders without obstructing the head lights. If you have lic. tags on front you will have to place them on the front of the rack, I don't until I'm stopped, that has never happened once in 35 years.
This^ You can use the rack on the front or rear (hitch mount). I have used a few bungee cords on the inside and wrapped them around the roll bar, keeps 'em tight and up out of the way.

Surf Mate Rod/Cooler Racks : Cabela's

For the inside...(how I used bungee cords, just wrap around the rod once)

Boat Buckle® RodBunk Deluxe Rod Carrier : Cabela's

·
Registered
595 Posts
Tale of 2 cities. In Louisville, I Velcro a 6' retractable pole with a Sabalos 4500 reel to the drivers side rear roll bar (18"). When home in St. Augustine beach, I mount a 15' retractable surf rod with a penn spinfisher 9500 (36") to the center rollbar..

·
Registered
952 Posts
Build something. Buy a 2x6x4.5', shim it at an angle to put in your trunk. Buy some PVC pipe, chop it for fishing pole handles. Mount them on the 2x6 spaced out evenly. Lift your hardtop glass. Insert poles. Tie rods down at the tailgate. This is what I would do. Cost you about $20 for lumber, PVC, and rope :)

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
How about mounting a larger diam PVC tube (like contractors carry plumbing pipes in) to your roof rack? You could mount them longitudinally (the length of the jeep).

Put your rods inside and use bungies to secure them behind the reels (drill a couple holes in the pipe for the bungee hook ends)

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you are willing to do the yakima roof rack (you can use the gutter mounts if you don't want to drill into your roof) you can use the awesome multi mount attachments to strap down your fishing poles to the rack like I did. I also use them for my kayak paddles, this keeps the interior of the jeep free of crap, doesn't obstruct view and looks pretty badass when all rigged up:

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a jk unlimited with a hard top and I really need a better way of bringing my fishing poles along with me. If I go fishing with friends I have more than 10 cluttered from the back to the front windshield. I can't break them down because of the mess it would cause. I've seen the front mounted pole carrier, but it would be illegal to use them on the road and clearance would suck. Also no interested in Mounting something to my hard top. Let me know of some ideas you guys might have thought about. If it's a solid idea I can fabricate something. Please no pvc pipe ideas though.
I put in a 4 pole rack from basspro.it is a vertical rack for the the garage but it also has a twist lock system so I mounted it horizontal.works great but only fits for but I'm thinking stack them

image-1843354861.jpg

·
Registered
595 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is a better pic

image-3053740571.jpg

·
Registered
158 Posts
I made me one out of pvc and zip tied it to my cargo carrier to go on vacation....painted it all black to match the carrier and Jeep and was really pleased and proud of it and it looked great. Well, it was working great until I got to going going down the hwy at 70mph......long story story short, the pvc pipe broke and my rods fell over sideways. Luckily I was keeping an eye on it in my rear view mirror and saw it immediately and pulled over on the side of the hwy. I had to cut the zip ties and strap the fishing rods down across the top of the cargo carrier, which ended up working well to get to the beach and back home, but I am still currently looking for something myself. I did see a couple of nice metal fishing rod carriers while I was there and I hope to find a place that sells them or someone to make them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts